How many watts for a amplifier when pair with RP-160M?

ThaiP

Hi!

I want pair a amplifier with RP-160M (Power handing is 100W).

But I don't know How many watts is the best for 160M.

Currently, I can select amplifier Yamaha A-S301. It have 60w+60w for "RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz)"

If I pair A-S301 with 160M, Do it have clipping or any issue ?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to the forum ThaiP. Have you looked at Emotiva? They have some nice affordable separates which I am sure can provide you with better quality than the Yamaha. Personally I think 601pc is probably fine, however it will depend on what your listening habits are. Do you listen loud? What kind of music? If you listen to hard stuff...say Metallica for example, that Yamaha may not get you where you want to be. Also it will depend on your budget.

I would suggest this set up:

https://emotiva.com/product/a-300/

https://emotiva.com/product/pt-100/

Together they will offer you a solid base even if you upgrade speakers later down the line.

Tim

3 hours ago, ThaiP said:

If I pair A-S301 with 160M, Do it have clipping or any issue ?

3 hours ago, teaman said:

They have some nice affordable separates which I am sure can provide you with better quality than the Yamaha.  it will depend on what your listening habits are. Do you listen loud? What kind of music? If you listen to hard stuff...say Metallica for example, that Yamaha may not get you where you want to be. Also it will depend on your budget.

Nothing against the A-S301 but if you can afford it, I say step up to a minimum the A-S501 to give you a bit more headroom.  These Yamaha integrateds have gotten much praise and should have no problem driving your 160Ms unless you like ear bleeding levels in a huge room.

Bill

4 hours ago, willland said:

Nothing against the A-S301 but if you can afford it, I say step up to a minimum the A-S501 to give you a bit more headroom.  These Yamaha integrateds have gotten much praise and should have no problem driving your 160Ms unless you like ear bleeding levels in a huge room.

Bill

Hi @willland,

The acreage of my room is 3300 cu.ft (ft3).

I like the pop, acoustic, country and instrumental music.

The distance between me and speaker is 6ft.

Do you think with 60 Watts, Will it is ok with my room and my music ?

6 hours ago, ThaiP said:

Hi @willland,

The acreage of my room is 3300 cu.ft (ft3).

I like the pop, acoustic, country and instrumental music.

The distance between me and speaker is 6ft.

Do you think with 60 Watts, Will it is ok with my room and my music ?

If you are at that distance, then I think the A-S301 will be just fine.  Considering that the A-S301 has a subwoofer preout, I think you should add one(or two) to fill in the bottom end and take some of the heavy lifting off the amp.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, willland said:

If you are at that distance, then I think the A-S301 will be just fine.  Considering that the A-S301 has a subwoofer preout, I think you should add one(or two) to fill in the bottom end and take some of the heavy lifting off the amp.

Bill

Do you mean, I should add one Subwoofer ?

2 hours ago, ThaiP said:

Do you mean, I should add one Subwoofer ?

Yes if you want to add the lower octave or two and if you can afford it.

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

The 160M isn't as efficient as spec'd in normal room conditions.  I would give it as much GOOD power as I could afford, in the neighborhood of at least 100 watts.

I personally don't think this is 100% necessary but it sure won't hurt to add a bit more horsepower.

Bill

16 minutes ago, willland said:

Yes if you want to add the lower octave or two and if you can afford it.

I personally don't think this is 100% necessary but it sure won't hurt to add a bit more horsepower.

Bill

Yes, if a sub is added, power requirements will go down.  Just provide good power with an amp that is warm and is not top end leaning.