"The Vietnam War" on PBS

jimjimbo

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Another masterpiece by filmmaker Ken Burns.

Agree, I learned a great deal last night. Didn't know the history behind the French and how they literally invaded and took the place for themselves.  Guess I wasn't paying attention.  

Mark

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Another masterpiece by filmmaker Ken Burns.

Yes indeed.

I alternated between it and the Falcons/Packers game.  Actually I watched most of it and just flipped to the game for the score.

25 minutes ago, cincymat said:

Agree, I learned a great deal last night. Didn't know the history behind the French and how they literally invaded and took the place for themselves.

I knew a bit about that but learned a ton more from this doc.

Bill

• Like 1

We watched portions of it in class.  It was a well designed documentary.

The problem with Vietnam - and many historians agree - is that it is a massive undertaking when dealing with historical accuracy.  It's virtually impossible to get all of the aspects down too.  Some things we may never have the truth on about it.

• Like 1

Excellent  Interesting that the first 3 quotes from JFK (during the Eisenhower administration) counseled caution in getting involved, and the 4th one seemed to say, something like, "We helped build this mess, so we can't just leave."  Toward the end of his administration, in the interview with Cronkite (coming soon on the series, I'm sure) he seemed to show frustration with the South ... "In the last analysis, it's their war."   People will never stop debating whether he was considering withdrawing the advisors and arms.

15 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

We watched portions of it in class.  It was a well designed documentary.

The problem with Vietnam - and many historians agree - is that it is a massive undertaking when dealing with historical accuracy.  It's virtually impossible to get all of the aspects down too.  Some things we may never have the truth on about it.

"Truth is the first casualty." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cincymat said:

Agree, I learned a great deal last night. Didn't know the history behind the French and how they literally invaded and took the place for themselves.  Guess I wasn't paying attention.  

Mark

As I remember Arthur Schlesinger's little paperback on the subject (read c.1965), the Allies originally got into Vietnam for the natural rubber (during WWII).  Ho Chi Mhin  was fighting against the Japanese. 

Later, Truman declined criticizing the French in "Indochina", because he wanted the French to accept the Marshall Plan.  As the Burns series made clear last night, Eisenhower believed in the domino theory.  Kennedy, too, was under the thrall of the Cold War. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, WMcD said:

This is a hideous horror movie, reporting an even more monstrous, hideous, and horrible reality.

WMcD

Which is always good if you don't want to repeat it.

Very interesting first night.  Views from US policy makers, soldiers on both sides, Vietnam Minh, South Vietnam, pretty balanced thus far.

You can stream unedited version on PBS which I liked better.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, WMcD said:

This is a hideous horror movie, reporting an even more monstrous, hideous, and horrible reality.

WMcD

Which is always good if you don't want to repeat it.

Very interesting first night.  Views from US policy makers, soldiers on both sides, Vietnam Minh, South Vietnam, pretty balanced thus far.

You can stream unedited version on PBS which I liked better.

11 hours ago, babadono said:

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." So let's tear down some more statues. Maybe blow up Mt. Rushmore. Jeesh!

Started watching last night-- I'm in.

I caught part of it last night as well.  How would you like to be a SV resident then?  You had it coming from all angles.

49 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I had no idea how complex this issue was. Getting this information and sorting it out is an issue in itself.

JJK

I was 7 years old in '64.  I had no idea of the complexity of what was going on rather it was just a war somewhere.  I was terrified it would still be going on when I turned 18.