2way mwm's?

Md5150

I am getting the upgrade itch again. I'm seriously considering going with mwm single bins but I have a few questions.

Most mwm systems I've seen are 3 or even 4 way, i only want to do 2way. Do the bass bins go high enough with stock woofers for a 2way system or do they need to be swopped out? For the tops I would be using 402 horn, active and probably either k691 drivers or Faital pro hf20at. Would they be more difficult to dial in the crossover vs Jubilee's or about the same? Is the bass as clean and punchy as Jubes? 

I have Jubes now and I am debating on adding another pair or going with mwm's. It seems to me I could save myself alot of $ on amplification by going with mwm's vs a second set of jubes. 

Thanks,

Mike.

• Moderators

Yes 2 way, it's what we have, there is the active program already for that combination. We use 2 single bins for each channel.

It would not save you any money on amplification, or on the active setup,  it still requires 4 amplified channels just like Jubes, 2 for the 402's and 2 for the bass bins. Same equipment as jubes just a little different program for the crossover, same general idea. But the MWM's take up much more space, the bins are 5' 8" wide and 44 1/2 " deep, = big.:lol: 

As far as "dialing in", I just use the program Roy setup for this combination.

4 hours ago, Md5150 said:

Is the bass as clean and punchy as Jubes? 

I have alot of time listening to a friends Jubes, and have almost 9  years of owning the MWM's, and it's hard to say, I have never heard them together. Just a complete guess but the jubes might have a little tighter bass, both are punchy with no shortage of bass. Tough question, and Kevin or myself is willing to haul these thing to find out. :huh:

19 hours ago, dtel said:

It would not save you any money on amplification, or on the active setup,  it still requires 4 amplified channels just like Jubes, 2 for the 402's and 2 for the bass bins. 

I appreciate the info.

What I meant was would I be better off going to mwm's rather than adding another pair of jubilee bass bins. I already have one pair. If I add another pair of jube bins I would have to power 8 woofers instead of 4 with the mwm's. That's why I'm thinking I could save alot on amps. Going by what I've been reading about mwm's they can kick alot harder when pushed.

Another thing that strikes me about the mwm's ( single bins ) is say you start out with 2 per side and it's great for awhile but then at some point you want more, you can easily add another bin per side.

Its been suggested i should just add a couple subs like the tuba tht. That's a possibility, i have just never owned a subwoofer of any kind before and worry I might lose some of the magic from the jubes if I do. I'm of the mindset of adding more of what you know you like. The jubes are great, i love what they do but I feel I am driving them to there limits to get the experience I want and that is feeling massive power kick me in the chest without worrying if I am driving them to hard. I was powering the bins with a 1250wpc Crown now I am using jc-1 monoblocks.

There is a guy close to me who is an authorized Bill fitzs builder who can build the tuba tht's for me if i decide to go that route but he only has a small table tuba for me to hear before deciding. 

So I basically have 3 options.

1. Add a couple tuba subs.

2. Get another pair of jube bins.

3. Mwm's

They all look like good options.

19 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes 2 way, it's what we have, there is the active program already for that combination. We use 2 single bins for each channel.

It would not save you any money on amplification, or on the active setup,  it still requires 4 amplified channels just like Jubes, 2 for the 402's and 2 for the bass bins. Same equipment as jubes just a little different program for the crossover, same general idea. But the MWM's take up much more space, the bins are 5' 8" wide and 44 1/2 " deep, = big.:lol: 

As far as "dialing in", I just use the program Roy setup for this combination.

I have alot of time listening to a friends Jubes, and have almost 9  years of owning the MWM's, and it's hard to say, I have never heard them together. Just a complete guess but the jubes might have a little tighter bass, both are punchy with no shortage of bass. Tough question, and Kevin or myself is willing to haul these thing to find out. :huh:

Yours is more a 2 way plus sub so almost a 3 way.

FWIW

I have 3 Home Theater/Music systems and I really like them all but when I have more room(and money) my 2 Channel Music Only System will be a pair of MWM Double bin's(which I already have) with K402's on top and most likely the KPT- 1802 (haven't  heard/felt one yet) if not  probably a Danley DTS-10. Then I'm done I swear :ph34r:

• Moderators
2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Yours is more a 2 way plus sub so almost a 3 way.

True, but I was just thinking about the main speakers. Mostly because I think any system really needs a sub, it should be automatic. Well unless you only listen to music that can't possibly go that low. I know some people don't feel that way but I have never seen a speaker that goes low enough by itself. Even on average it seems to me there is some info below what even really good speakers can reproduce. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Md5150 said:

Another thing that strikes me about the mwm's ( single bins ) is say you start out with 2 per side and it's great for awhile but then at some point you want more, you can easily add another bin per side.

I can never picture me needing any more than the 4 single bins inside, + a good sub.  

Think about this, the double bass bin can handle 800 watts normal, not peak watts. I use Crown D-75's at about 30-35 WCP. They just cruise along. Same for the Jube.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Coytee said:

I have a pair of MWM (double bins) that don't have drivers, that you could have for free...  just have to pick them up here (cause I ain't boxing them up!)

Now that's a generous offer. :emotion-21:

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 9:27 PM, Marvel said:

I'm probably closer...:ph34r:

I have four bins... :emotion-21:  (all doubles and none with drivers although I happen to have a number of K33 drivers that I was going to put into them but...  I paid for those)

I also have two "single" MWM bass bins, as in, each one using a single K43 driver (with K43 inside).  Fiberglassed, aluminum trim and handles...those could go but wouldn't be free ($400 total for both or, less than the price of the pair of drivers in them)

These are the ones we used for out outdoor movie.

Stack1.jpg

Trailer.jpg

Those singles look like they would clean up rather easily. I'm thinking, but that's a dangerous thing to do. What's the height of those when stacked together, around 35 inches? At least we could move them, too. The doubles I got from JWC for the college had no trim or handles. They are difficult to get hold of to move.

Bruce