Need help solving subwoofer issue

Ickaris

So I have a Denon AVR-890 that I purchased along with a Klipsch HD1000 back in 2008 I believe.  I quit using it for a couple years and finally broke it out again after just purchasing a pair of RP-280F's and a R-115SW to fill out my theatre.  I just hooked up the new stuff for a quick test to make sure everything worked.  I'm using a PS3 Slim for Video/Cd's.  After doing my best to go through settings and dial it in a bit, I was impressed with what $1500 got me.  My Denon AVR-890 and/or my PS3 have something wonky going on.  Last night, after watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2, I shut it down.  This morning, I went to turn it on again and the PS3 did an update which altered something(been in box for 2 years).  I went back through the settings several times not taking note of the changes made, but finally got the deep lows out of the sub again using DTS HD Master I believe, and everything was fine.  Now, I wanted to try some music.  I burned a playlist to disc from Itunes.  Currently, I only have the towers and sub hooked up which show on the AVR display.  When I hit the play button for the CD, the subwoofer icon goes away on the AVR display.  I tried a samsung Bluray player as well with the same result.  I'm missing a bunch of settings as well.  I'm guessing there is something about the CD that will not allow 2.1?  I see 2.0, 5.1, 7.1 settings in the players/AVR.   With the CD, most songs are thin and leave much to be desired.  I know it can have great sound, but I can't find it lol.

Any info on how to get the sub running with a CD would be awesome.  I've spent hours messing around and don't seem to be able to figure it out.  

Optimal settings for PS3 and Denon AVR-890 would be awesome as well.

I can see about getting some pictures of the user interface with all the settings posted if necessary.

Much appreciated to anyone willing to help me get this straightened out.

Edited by Ickaris

52 minutes ago, Ickaris said:

Any info on how to get the sub running with a CD would be awesome.  I've spent hours messing around and don't seem to be able to figure it out.  

I think your guess is correct that when playing the CD it is outputting to 2.0.

I suggest you set it to 5.1 and see if the sub comes back.  Your AVR should separate the LF and send it to the sub.

• Thanks 1

If you sub works with 5.1 sources but not with stereo, it is likely a settings thing. No idea why denon would think that people wouldn't want to have the sub going with stereo source material but I know on mine that was a setting that I had to change manually from time to time. I want to say it was somewhere in the LFE menu or channel settings. 

• Thanks 1

Sometimes my subs are inactive and that is OK.  I have the speakers set to smalll and the subs are not active due to the XO setting and the overall balance of the system.  Even when activated they are not delivering thunderous bass and in-line with the composition.  Don't worry about it and take is as things are as they are suppose to sound with the bass management program for the avr.  Retrained your ear and leave the gear alone. We don't need to be overriding  everything to get a great sound.

• Like 1

It was set to direct.  Sigh...   I over looked that countless times.   I took the advice given and set it to Small/LFE/LPF-80Hz/XO-60Hz and adjusted EQ to preference.  Everything seems to be crystal clear and realistic sounding. I'm back to happy.  I'm surprised 105 watts a Ch. gets this much sound from a 150 watt speaker. Thanks so much for your help guys. 

Im all for balance and understand that most things don't call for heavy bass, but then a lot of things do.  When I dropped the dough for the R-115SW, it wasn't just to sit and look at lol.   Now, where's my RP450C😜  -Next in line. 

Thanks again,  I'll catch you guys later. I have some movies to watch.!

• Like 3