Heresy placement

Ziggy47

Hi, I've got a pair of Heresys which I've owned for many years and will never part with.

My question is how important is it for the tweeter to be at ear level, is the sound dispersal less important than with a cone tweeter ?

Its just I'm buying stands and can get some which don't tilt and are only approx 4"/20cm high, thoughts ?

Regards from the UK

Richard...

I've found the high end to be strong enough that locating the tweeters at ear level was hardly necessary. In fact, I turned DOWN my treble control, which I usually leave flat.

Also, if you raise the speakers, you'll lose some of the bass as the woofers distance themselves from the floor. Even with solid stands to supposedly couple the speaker to the floor, I've heard diminished bass levels. It was even obvious when I experimented with 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers, moving them from stands to the floor.

3 hours ago, Ziggy47 said:

Hi, I've got a pair of Heresys which I've owned for many years and will never part with.

My question is how important is it for the tweeter to be at ear level, is the sound dispersal less important than with a cone tweeter ?

Its just I'm buying stands and can get some which don't tilt and are only approx 4"/20cm high, thoughts ?

Regards from the UK

Richard...

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36070-Slant-Risers-For-The-Heresy-s

the driver which matters most in the mid (horn or cone). Why don't you do some exerciser and find out some things for yourself? Raise them up so that the centre of the mid horn is on your seated ear level. No tilt up or down. A very good starting point would be to use an equilateral triangle with your head the same distance away from the centre of each speaker and the centre of each speaker the same distance apart. Place the speakers up against the front wall for best bass augmentation. Set up this way you will be looking straight down the throats of the mid horn of each speaker. This set up should give you the best stage and image. Try it for yourself. You can experiment with a little plus or minus toe in or out to adjust image.