avguytx

Bought an MC250. Most parts have arrived.

5 hours ago, avguytx said:

Did you send them out to be done or did you do it yourself?

I sent them out.  A highly trusted tech north of me.

5 hours ago, svberger said:

I'm currently using one, restored by Audio Classics, driven by a Mac MX110 pre, with my Cornwall II's. Would love to try a second one. What improvements, differences did you find when using them as mono blocks?

Well, obviously, having the headroom available to drive to higher levels is a definite advantage.  I  found that my Chorus II's responded with much greater "authority" when driven by an amp on each channel.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Well, obviously, having the headroom available to drive to higher levels is a definite advantage.  I  found that my Chorus II's responded with much greater "authority" when driven by an amp on each channel.

You must be pulling those speakers out into the driveway to entertain the neighborhood, lol.;)

On 9/28/2017 at 1:57 PM, jwc said:

I would contact and send here without hesitation....

http://www.northreadingeng.com/

They do nice work, but I have different ideals with regards to their upgrades. I can't help but wonder why, with so much gear out there to choose from, would one completely change an original Mc solid state Amp? These were built to sound a certain way. Changing that is risky in that you would like what you heard when you get it back IMO. I haven't heard of anybody not liking the sound of their vintage Mc Amp.

13 minutes ago, paul79 said:

They do nice work, but I have different ideals with regards to their upgrades. I can't help but wonder why, with so much gear out there to choose from, would one completely change an original Mc solid state Amp? These were built to sound a certain way. Changing that is risky in that you would like what you heard when you get it back IMO. I haven't heard of anybody not liking the sound of their vintage Mc Amp.

Paul, as you know, changing the sound signature or simply restoring the unit to replace old caps/resistors/etc. are two entirely different things.  I would never want to, nor recommend a wholesale "change" of a Mc amp, solely on the basis of a change.

Got a bunch of parts ordered from Mouser...resistors, caps, and transistors. Supposed to be in tomorrow. Sweet. 

Well, I had hoped the parts would make it in Friday...but Fedex tried to deliver them on Saturday to my office address and, of course, no one was here.  I'd come by not 10 minutes before they stopped by on my way to get front end alignment on my truck and they came right after I left.  Would have thought they would be here today but says tomorrow.  Oh well.  I spent some time on the speaker project. 

Parts arrived from Mouser today. Need to order the 2 multicaps from Hayseed and see what I can do on the 9300mfd cap replacement.  

20171010_104126-1024x832.jpg

Two new replacement multi-caps ordered from one place and two new main filter caps ordered from Mouser today.  Looking forward to starting on this amp and may try to work on some things at night after homework, dinner, etc., are done.  Weekends are currently tied up getting Belle clones closer to being done.  ha

I think after I get this amp done, I am covered for about as much as I need to have around for awhile.  "IF" I do decided to get another amp later, be it building or buying, it will be a SE amplifier of some sort.  But that's later.