buzz

gaggs

hello folks, new member here. have purchased my first pair of la scala speakers. have been using them for a couple of weeks now and they sounded terrific. the problem? this past week a change occurred.  have chord preamp and chord 200watt power amp. there is a loud buzzzing sound coming from the speakers now, even with the volume at zero. i was using xlr leads between the amps. tried another ss pre and amp with the same result.

in the end swopped over to a valve amp and.............. silence at last.

my question is why is there a buzzing when using ss amps?

hope some of you gurus can help

• 2 weeks later...

hi don,

yes, the valve amp uses rca leads. the chord has the ability to use unbalanced rca leads also. will try them and see what results i get.

another question is, i am using tellurium black speaker leads and am finding that the treble is extremely high. have downgraded to lower quality speaker leads and the sound balance is much better.

has anyone had any issues with using high quality speaker leads?

is the problem that the scala's are too sensitive to use high quality cables or do i need to look elsewhere for the origin of the "high sound"?

Oh and BTW most of us here use the smallest wire we can possibly find for speaker wire, that way the great majority of power from our power amps gets dissipated in the wire instead of the speaker:P

^This is a joke:). Welcome to the forum, Enjoy your Lascalas:emotion-21:

• Like 2

my how the brain works sometimes it frightens me! went through all the cables one at a time, nothing changed. almost crawling up the wall. as a last resort pulled out all the inputs then began with just the pre and the amp, so far so good. to cut a long story short. 

the culprit was the long cable i was using to connect the tv( optical to analogue amp) to the preamp. removed it found a good set of phono leads and plugged in aaaaaaaaaand silence no more buzzzzz

concluded that the long unshielded cable was picking up hum from the mains. have now reconnected the terulliam q black and now have ultimate definition and sound. so happy have ramped up the volume in ecstasy.

on another topic, what is the difference between the scala 1 and 11. are the 11 better? there is a lot of talk with ref to the crossovers, are 1 crossover better as some seem to prefer them to the new?

The differences between the La Scala I and II are "cosmetic" and crossover.  The thicker walls of the bass horn reduce/eliminate a vibration in the sides at high volume that coloured the bass.  The restyle makes it pretty enough to replace the Belle. 

The drivers are virtually identical to the late '70s drivers, but the tweeter is now flush with the front of the cabinet.  The crossover is much more sophisticated than the late '70s/early '80s Type AA, with steeper slopes and a band-pass on the squawker.  However the sound of the Type AL-4 is not much different than my 1981 Type AAs.  The La Scala II *may* be using an AL-5 crossover, now, to match the K-horn.