What's The World Coming To---

Gilbert

I worked for Domino's pizza when going to college in the mid 1980's.  AT THAT TIME, the ONLY things that the franchisee absolutely HAD TO USE from corporate were the pizza dough, cheese blend, and the sauce...everything else involved COULD BE aquired through local purchase.  There were only TWO pizza places in town which delivered, Domino's and Pizza Hut (which had just started to deliver!)....and there were two colleges in town.  Pizza Hut was making serious inroads to take over the delivery side of things in town and Domino's was losing lots of sales, so the franchise owner brought in a new manager out of the Dallas area.  The new manager managed to do mostly the local-purchase thing for ingredients, to include low-fat-content ground-round beef and made-to-order Italian sausage, along with fresh (instead of canned) mushrooms and such.  The franchise actually saved money by making the local purchases, which drove profits per pizza up, but the much higher quality ingredients for toppings and such put our product heads and shoulders above that of Pizza Hut, so in a matter of two or three months, the business was turned around and we left Pizza Hut in the dust for deliveries...with profits shooting through the roof at Dominoes.  The franchise owner adopted this for the other franchise stores he had in other towns and the same thing occurred in those locations.  It was about far better quality...plain and simple!  I have no idea what corporate requires its francisees to purchase from them nowadays, but back then that is how it was!  Piggly Wiggly store was our supplier for the fresh ground beef and the Italian sausage, and we got our special-ordered pepperoni through them, too...along with the chicken breasts and all the rest of the meat products!  the local Krogers store was also used for ingredients, but the meats always came from Piggly-Wiggly for what we made.  It was a damned good pizza that we ended up with!

• Haha 1

Pizza Hut has fantastic crust.  Unfortunately, store managers who think they know better and think they are clever turn up the temperature on their ovens to bake them faster.  What you wind up with is a nice brown crust, cheese, and toppings on the outside and gooey mess on the inside... a pizza ruined.   Baked correctly they are really good!

16 minutes ago, muel said:

Pizza Hut has fantastic crust.  Unfortunately, store managers who think they know better and think they are clever turn up the temperature on their ovens to bake them faster.  What you wind up with is a nice brown crust, cheese, and toppings on the outside and gooey mess on the inside... a pizza ruined.   Baked correctly they are really good!

Nothing beats a wood-fired soapstone pizza oven for making pizza!  It is hard to get things wrong when using that kind of oven.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gottajam said:

I always thought that the best chain pizza joint was Godfathers. I never see then around anywhere.

I remember Godfathers, they were very good. It seems the best pizzas are the local places. Around here it's Mozzi's or Jocomo's.

Has anybody noticed how much better some of the frozen pizzas have gotten? 

• Like 1

Godfathers was where I had my first and best pan pizza, nobody else has done it right since.

What's with 1 tbsp of pizza sauce on the whole med (it's called large now) pie?

Pasqualies was killer inn the early 70s, Shakees too. A whole in-law family of Italian from Boston I was affiliated with loved Papaginos, I like dough under my pie, not a cracker!

Palermos has been pretty good from the freezer, good flavor, but the toppings have dwindled the last couple years.

22 hours ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Nothing beats a wood-fired soapstone pizza oven for making pizza!  It is hard to get things wrong when using that kind of oven.

Luisas near Park Rd shopping center here !!!!!! They have got a clay oven big enough to bake one of those frigidaire sized cars!