Cornwall Upgrade

FredT

Has anyone experimented with remounting their Cornwall I horns to the front of the panel? It seems the flush mounting (as done on the Cornwall II) would produce more even frequency response than the stock rear mounting. Also, would the installation of internal bracing offer any sonic advantages? The Cornwall is a large speaker, and it seems like the large unbraced 3/4" plywood side, front, and rear panels would contribute some unwanted resonance. Comments?

As far as the cabinet modifications go, you might want to take a look at an article from Speaker Builder of 3/89 if youcan find it called "Equalizing the Klipsch Cornwall" by Roger Floth. It describes cabinet reinforcements to reduce resonances, the simplist of which is attaching an 3/4" piece of plywood over the entire back. I myself am too reluctant to try anything on my beloved Cornwalls. I have a copy of the article but not the means to post it and would hesitate anyway since the magazine must own the copyright.

DKBKS,

If you have a copy of that article, and can e-mail it to me, I would appreciate it. My next project for MYSELF, after finishing my LaScalas, will be to build a pair of Cornwalls for myself, too!! I know how to build them, but am seriously considering the possibility of incorporating some structural changes(provided they won't compromise the interior dimensions)...just in case...but I never hear anybody really complaining any about any resonances from Cornwalls...not the mid-1970's era ones, anyway!!! I am already gathering up some "guts" for a pair...have two b-networks, midhorns, and mid-drivers on the way...Thanks to a speaker ghoul in New York and eBay!! LOL!

I have a page with a full copy of this article along with a few comments from me. I would definitely consider making the back panel more rigid but some of the other mods have questionable results and while making the speakers different, and certainly more rigid, I am now not sure if it is better, even based on the comments Froth made himself.

I actually have a full page on the Cornwalls coming out that I started a LONG time ago but never got done. I am really going to try and get it down this month, however.

I'll post the link to the article as soon as I locate the beast. It is on one of my servers.

kh

Kelly,

I was considering extending the depth of the sides/top/bottom on the Cornwalls I am planning to build, when I saw up the parts...about a quarter-inch, and, of course, insetting the rear glue blocks an additional quarter-inch...in order to provide for a 3/4" baltic birch plywood back on them. I also planned to add another couple of screws to them on the sides, and top/bottom...I have even considered using t-nuts in the blocks and machine screws with flat AND lock washers to secure the backs...thus allowing for a very tight fit/seal there(wood-to-wood). What do you think?

Thanks for all the input on my question about cabinet reinforcement. I especially like the idea of reinforcing the back; this can be done on the outside without changing the cabinet's internal dimensions. I didn't see any comments about remounting the two horns flush to the front rather than the back of the cabinet face. Any opinions about this modification?

PWK, himself, said "It doesn't make a dime's worth of difference" whether the horns are mounted from the front or rear...and that is good enough for me. The company is making a big hoopla about it for their re-release of the "heritage" line, but it was PWK who designed the speakers to start with, and he could have mounted em either way, and chose to do it from the rear!! If it really does make much difference, then the act of moving them forward will change (by making it larger) the interior volume of the cabinet...and it will also change the "timing" of the speakers somewhat...Klipsch is saying that their current moving of the horns forward has been coordinated with network changes to compensate for the timing.

To be honest with you about the differences in mounting and why the company has gone the front mounting routine...it is ONLY due to a savings in LABOR COST along with a small savings in material cost!! They may come up with all kinds of reasons why it is supposedly better, but LABOR COST is the real reason for the change. When rear mounting the components, it was a real pain and took more time to align the upper, lower, and sides of the horn lenses with the opening...one hand feeling for alignment, while the other is reaching around and trying to use a screw gun to drive the screws up snug. With them mouned from the front where they can just drop them into a pre-routed hole with a rabbet around its front edges for the flange to fit into, it is quick and easy, therefore saving quite a bit of labor cost...pretty simple. The added production benefit of front-mounting is that the backs can be permanently secured, along with the fronts, when cabinets are assembled, meaning the component installer doesn't have the added job of screwing on a back, too. It is also cheaper to use staples to secure the back than it is to use screws. Another cost saving freature is the pre-driling of the back to accept a screw...and it saves on drill bits and jig rebuilds at the same time.

Once again, it is labor cost and material cost that put the horns mounted from the front. Once ALL the speakers began to come with grille cloth on them, there was no need to have a nice clean-looking hole with a horn behind it anymore...so it was possible to do this. Before they started making the decorator models with inset, dropped-in-and-stapled-on fronts(1977-1978), with grille clothe panels over the fronts, the rear mounting had an aesthetic appeal too! As soon as all the speakers began to come with the grille cloth panels, they started looking for ways to speed up production and save on labor!! I was still there when they were walking around discussing the upcoming changes, and why they wanted to make them...not once did speaker performance enter the picture...that came along to justify the changes to the consumer, after the fact!!

----------------

On 9/28/2002 6:16:25 AM FredT wrote:

Has anyone experimented with remounting their Cornwall I horns to the front of the panel? It seems the flush mounting (as done on the Cornwall II) would produce more even frequency response than the stock rear mounting. Also, would the installation of internal bracing offer any sonic advantages? The Cornwall is a large speaker, and it seems like the large unbraced 3/4" plywood side, front, and rear panels would contribute some unwanted resonance. Comments?

----------------

Fred, I have 1989 Cornwall II's and they have a 2x4 that is nailed between the front and the back board. This is how they came from the factory. Its mounted just below the midrange.

Dan