Worth it to upgrade to RP-160M for rears?

jerseybowler

Hello.  Klipsch.com, along with some other authorized sites are currently offering the RP-160M in Walnut for $55 less than the Cherry and Black.  I would prefer the Cherry to match my fronts and center, but for the difference in price, I am tempted,  My question is whether this will be much of an upgrade, or am I just being bitten by the upgrade bug.  I currently run RP-260 fronts and RP-450C center, along with a pair of Polk RTI-A1 book shelf speakers for rears.  The Polks are great looking speakers, but their sensitivity is 89 db, vs. mid 90's for the Klipschs.  My Yamaha AVR wants me to set the rear volume levels way into the positive range to compensate for the difference.  I have read that this may not be good for the avr to run speaker levels well above 0, although I'm not sure how much this applies to the rears.  

Do you think I would notice much of a difference by changing to the RP-160, or should I save my money for another future upgrade or addition to my system?  Thanks.      

3 hours ago, jerseybowler said:

The Polks are great looking speakers, but their sensitivity is 89 db, vs. mid 90's for the Klipschs.  My Yamaha AVR wants me to set the rear volume levels way into the positive range to compensate for the difference. 

I have read that this may not be good for the avr to run speaker levels well above 0, although I'm not sure how much this applies to the rears.  

It will not hurt the AVR to run speakers with + numbers above 0.

YPAO is setting the speakers to all hit Reference Level at whatever your Yamaha says it is, maybe 80.   

My Onkyo w/Audyssey sets reference at 82, so my mismatched inefficient rears would run at +3, the mismatched center was +2 and the Khorn L/R was at -11.  At Reference they were all balanced to work with each other.

• Like 1