Jump to content

Latest Forte III review


Drewg
 Share

Recommended Posts

Thanks for posting. Given the other speakers he cited as examples of doing something better in certain ways, I am a little skeptical. I don't care for those other speakers. I also don't know why any serious reviewer of klipsch would use solid state instead of tubes, or seriously use these as part of some surround sound system. But then again it's CNET, not Absolute Sound. The most accurate insight was the comment: "A modernization of the venerable Cornwall / Heresy designs - biradial mid-horn, passive radiator to extend low end. Horn mid / treble exceeds in one seldom mentioned area - transient response. If your musical preference points to rock / hard rock or night club music these speakers would be incredible. As a DJ, used Klipsch in clubs and owned LaScalas running on a vacuum tube McIntosh 240 myself. Strong, punchy and LOUD!"  

Edited by ndavis1971
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, ndavis1971 said:

I also don't know why any serious reviewer of klipsch would use solid state instead of tubes

I would guess most main stream buyers use solid state, both receivers and AVR's.  I do see your point, it would have been nice if he would have reviewed the F-3's with tube gear as well.

 

I like that Guttenberg used my primary criteria for evaluating speaker accuracy, piano.  It was a good review and the F-3's got a fair shake.  They came out looking pretty good with that reviewer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just remember because a speaker sounds more like live music does not mean it is the best choice.  Pick what sounds best to your ear.  I will say for me studio quality beats out live music  in the majority of the times.  I am not the biggest fan of live concerts and like a little more refined selection, just me, lol/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I agree with the following: "The Forte IIIs' freewheeling dynamics and high resolution aren't forgiving to harsh or otherwise poorly recorded or mixed music."

I disagree with what he said about reproduction of classical music. If my Forte IIIs did not please me on classical music, I would have taken them back the same day.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read this that the reviewer evaluated H3 a while ago more faborably than this time with F3. Maybe H3 has stronger characters that resonated with him? With my own H3 and F3, I think somewhere between Steve G's review and Dick Olsher's is fair with H3 and F3 is better across the all (I'm biased as a recent purchaser of F3 of course)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That review was interesting to me.  I picked up my Forte III's early this month, and have been experimenting with various speaker placements since then.  The reviewer suggested he thought the speakers sounded at their best only 8" away from the wall?  seems counter intuitive to me, but I am pretty new to this high end audio whirled. 

 

acquiring the Forte's allowed my RP250F's to migrate to a new 5.0 setup I've also just assembled.  With the rear ported RP's I had them about 2 feet away from the wall.  My Forte's are currently the same 2' distance away from all walls...  Do the passive radiators like being closer to walls? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-09-25 at 6:46 PM, buf said:

 I agree with the following: "The Forte IIIs' freewheeling dynamics and high resolution aren't forgiving to harsh or otherwise poorly recorded or mixed music."

I disagree with what he said about reproduction of classical music. If my Forte IIIs did not please me on classical music, I would have taken them back the same day.

I agree, I enjoyed classical music with Klipsch as well as classic jazz when I was using them as front mains for music. That being said my Ohms do a better job with classical and jazz (IMO), which I attribute to their different imaging characteristics and the sound of my room, rather than the actual reproduction itself. The Klipsch I find in general to be superior with certain genres of rock and other music that is played live through PA systems because of the similar reproduction equipment. In the same vein, nothing can touch Klipsch for reference level HT - period. 

Just my theory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 7:39 PM, Jirachi said:

I've found it best around the 12" mark

Per the Forte III manual which can be found on the main site:

 

FORTE III

The Forte III has excellent bass extension and therefore offers a

good degree of toe-in and placement options. However, the Forte

features a rear-firing 15” passive radiator that requires the

loudspeaker to be placed at least 1” away from the back wall. For

optimal low-bass performance, it is recommended the loudspeaker

be placed within 2 to 10 inches of the back wall. This will provide

the best low bass loading and enhance the low frequency extension

of the loudspeaker.

 

I had my Forte II in the corners toe-ed in 45 degrees with the edges of the cabinet almost touching the walls.  This sounded good to me.

 

WMcD

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, ndavis1971 said:

Thanks for posting. Given the other speakers he cited as examples of doing something better in certain ways, I am a little skeptical. I don't care for those other speakers. I also don't know why any serious reviewer of klipsch would use solid state instead of tubes, or seriously use these as part of some surround sound system. But then again it's CNET, not Absolute Sound. The most accurate insight was the comment: "A modernization of the venerable Cornwall / Heresy designs - biradial mid-horn, passive radiator to extend low end. Horn mid / treble exceeds in one seldom mentioned area - transient response. If your musical preference points to rock / hard rock or night club music these speakers would be incredible. As a DJ, used Klipsch in clubs and owned LaScalas running on a vacuum tube McIntosh 240 myself. Strong, punchy and LOUD!"  

 

"Given the other speakers he cited as examples of doing something better in certain ways, I am a little skeptical."

Indeed

 

"I also don't know why any serious reviewer of klipsch would use solid state instead of tubes"

PWK used solid state. Under normal working conditions there's no secret sauce with a tube amp. 

 

"or seriously use these as part of some surround sound system"

I believe he played movies in stereo to hear movie dynamics. 

 

"But then again it's CNET, not Absolute Sound."

The audio press is a complete mess, no one is immune. Wasn't it Absolute Sound with the "dancing cables?" 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...