What's better than 20 Tuba players?

Coytee

About 80!

Left Friday with my dad to drive to Columbus Ohio.  Sole purpose?  To get to St. John's arena to watch the Ohio State Marching band pregame show....  then watch the halftime show and then go home.

Left Friday morning, got there around 8'ish.  Yesterday went to the festivities and got back last night about 10:00.

I don't know the official number...(I don't know the base number the band uses) but they added about 500 more people so it was 'around' 700 band members absolutely ripping it up.

Four Script Ohio's...a lasso...train...

They hand band members who were in their 90's, 80's, 70's...  all the way down to having graduated last year.

It was somewhat bittersweet seeing the older guys playing.

One of the trumpet players (I'm guessing late 60's or early 70's) evidently had some kind of palsy.  Though he marched with the band with trumpet raised, his playing hand was trembling too much as to make it inoperable.  He was just going through the motions.  Next to him (they had the elderly guys together) was the guy that was 90.

You know how crisp and disciplined the band is when they make their turns...at one point, he (the 90 year old) turned left while the entire band turned right so he was going in the wrong direction preparing to run right into the person next to him.  You could see the person next to him yell at him to turn around and scoot back up.

Realistically, he ("they"...  the eldest of the crowd) didn't have a good reason to be there from a performance perspective so it was very heart warming to see them out there doing their best knowing that they probably contributed very little to the actual sound.

Halftime...  headed back to car and drove home.  Sole purpose for trip was to watch pregame and halftime shows.

I don't post these links often so this might not work. (trying to embed a video)

<iframe src='http://players.brightcove.net/5359769197001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5586222661001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Here's a second in case the first one isn't done correctly

http://www.10tv.com/article/journey-west-ohio-state-marching-band-halftime-show-osu-vs-unlv

I wanted to get an idea of how many drummers were in there but it was easier to count the tuba's.

It was proof positive that horns are indeed honky!!

On 9/24/2017 at 8:14 AM, Coytee said:

About 80!

Left Friday with my dad to drive to Columbus Ohio.  Sole purpose?  To get to St. John's arena to watch the Ohio State Marching band pregame show....  then watch the halftime show and then go home.

OK, NOW you are talking my language!  I love marching band and drum corps, and I was in the WVU Marching Band, the Pride of West Virginia.  In a few weeks I will march with the WVU Alumni band, about 400 members strong.  I love 'em all.

Ohio State is an all-brass band with percussion and they play like crazy, really big sound.  No flutes, no clarinets, no saxes.  The are a typical Big Ten band with the Clydesdale style of marching, but in recent years they have distinguished themselves with their marching style in which they animate pictures.  Most college bands have band camp one week in the summer, just before school.  Ohio State has band camp all summer long where they learn all those cool half-time drills.  The Script Ohio pre-game drill is called a follow-the-leader drill which takes about 5 minutes to learn, very easy.  The half-time shows is where they really shine.

Now why they would do their pre-game show in St. John's Arena I don't know.  I thought that was the OSU basketball arena.  But they have huge following and at the moment they are the innovators in college marching band nation-wide.

Here is the Ohio State half-time show with their alumni:

On 9/24/2017 at 8:14 AM, Coytee said:

About 80!

Left Friday morning, got there around 8'ish.  Yesterday went to the festivities and got back last night about 10:00.

I don't know the official number...(I don't know the base number the band uses) but they added about 500 more people so it was 'around' 700 band members absolutely ripping it up.

Four Script Ohio's...a lasso...train...

They hand band members who were in their 90's, 80's, 70's...  all the way down to having graduated last year.

It was somewhat bittersweet seeing the older guys playing.

One of the trumpet players (I'm guessing late 60's or early 70's) evidently had some kind of palsy.  Though he marched with the band with trumpet raised, his playing hand was trembling too much as to make it inoperable.  He was just going through the motions.  Next to him (they had the elderly guys together) was the guy that was 90.

You know how crisp and disciplined the band is when they make their turns...at one point, he (the 90 year old) turned left while the entire band turned right so he was going in the wrong direction preparing to run right into the person next to him.  You could see the person next to him yell at him to turn around and scoot back up.

Realistically, he ("they"...  the eldest of the crowd) didn't have a good reason to be there from a performance perspective so it was very heart warming to see them out there doing their best knowing that they probably contributed very little to the actual sound.

Halftime...  headed back to car and drove home.  Sole purpose for trip was to watch pregame and halftime shows.

I don't post these links often so this might not work. (trying to embed a video)

<iframe src='http://players.brightcove.net/5359769197001/default_default/index.html?videoId=5586222661001' allowfullscreen frameborder=0></iframe>

Here's a second in case the first one isn't done correctly

http://www.10tv.com/article/journey-west-ohio-state-marching-band-halftime-show-osu-vs-unlv

I wanted to get an idea of how many drummers were in there but it was easier to count the tuba's.

It was proof positive that horns are indeed honky!!