Klipsch R10SW issues

Ryan

Hello,

I have a klipsch R10SW sub woofer in a set up with two RF-3s running off a denon AVR-S710W. 

I am having an issue with the sub where it will operate normally for about the first minute after turning the system on, then will go into some kind of 'limp' or under powered mode where the sub is still producing bass just at a lot weaker levels. It will stay in that state until the whole system is powered off and powered on again regardless of if I turn the sub itself off/on.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks 

So I'm not super experienced with audio set ups but I have tried unplugging the sub both from the amp and the wall and changing the settings on the rear of the sub but nothing seems to do anything.

I also don't understand why it does that because it's still playing the audio from the amp just way quieter, could it be that the amp is reducing the audio level to the sub for some reason?

Do you have another AVR that you could try using to see if it's the AVR?  Have you tried another RCA cable to the sub, what about a different sub out (there's 2 on that AVR)?  Just to be sure: you are turning the sub off before unplugging cables right?

Yes. I don't have another avr or cable which is kind of annoying, I hadn't thought about switching the sub output on the avr, I will try that today and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll get a new cable so I can start eliminating possible issues. I just have a generic amazon cable at the moment, would you suggest getting something of higher quality?

Are you allowing the AVR to do the bass-management duties, i.e. following the manual's suggested setup instructions: http://manuals.denon.com/AVRS710W/NA/EN/GFNFSYaxhqtbzr.php#OKNRMLfvunedcc  and turn the low-pass knob on the rear of the sub to max.  Set the gain to 0/12 0'clock position and the phase switch is normally at 0*; it's provided because the speakers and subwoofer sound best when they are in-phase. 

Meaning their woofers move in and out in sync. To check your sub's phase, play music with bass, listen for a minute or so and sit near the sub, flipping the sub's 0/180-degree phase switch slowly back and forth. The correct setting is the one that yields more bass and when the woofers of the sub and speakers are in sync. You may have to try a few different recordings before you hear any difference (if any at all).  It might help to turn up the sub's volume level a few notches for this test. If you don't hear any difference between the 0 and 180-degree settings, leave the phase control in the 0 position.

Also, if your AVR is not already configured this way, try setting your floors to "small" and their x-over to 60Hz or 80Hz, whichever garners the best result.  Setting the x-over to 40Hz is too low, even though your speakers are rated at 37Hz if not mistaken.  A decent article here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/crossover-and-speaker-settings-in-relation-to-bass-management.1019893/