Drop Speaker Wire Through Header with Electrical

91RS

On 9/24/2017 at 7:26 PM, Tasdom said:

I embedded 16 awg speaker wire into the sheet rock at my former residence. I used a router then plastered them in and painted. Lot of dust but worked well for my situation.

^^^^^^ This. I've done it, super simple. I was embarrassed to say it because it was the easy way out, but it worked like a charm. Super easy . Router, plaster, paint over it. Unnoticeable. 

• 3 weeks later...

if you have room to run the speaker wire near the power just do it. Use proper plenum cable and not zip cord.  (as you probably have experienced zip cord will deteriorate over time) 

I see no catastrophic issues with this.  If the hole is big enough go for it.  What could go wrong? What are the chances that somehow the 2 wires side by side cause a hazard? 

What scenarios?

1: Mouse gnaws thru both wire insulation  and they touch and causes the speaker wires to go live with 120V

2: someone puts a nail thru both in some future renovation causing the speaker wires to go live.  

3: The breaker in the power circuit fails when too many blow dryers are on the circuit, causing the wire to melt, and burn down the house.  Your speakers are the least of your worries. 

As for drilling a hole in the header beside the 120v line, its not that difficult or dangerous. An auger but is sharp at the tip but not so much along the shaft.  I have drilled with the auger bit touching an existing NMD cable without a problem.  

I ended up going around the header and back into the wall.  I tried to use the existing hole but could only get the wire go half way before it would stop.  There was just no room to get the auger bit in there at the right angle.  I haven't fixed the drywall yet but only about a 6" cut in it to fill in.

• Like 1