Sub for Jubilee's

Md5150

Just now, mikebse2a3 said:

If my memory is correct, I remember Roy saying during our conversations about the 1502 during the time of the pilgrimage was they had achieved an extremely close frequency response that extended as low as the 1802 with just 2db to 3db less max spl output.

miketn 

That's impressive.   I'd be curious to see the ts parameters of the drivers.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

If my memory is correct, I remember Roy saying during our conversations about the 1502 during the time of the pilgrimage was they had achieved an extremely close frequency response that extended as low as the 1802 with just 2db to 3db less max spl output.

miketn 

Your memory is correct. 

• Like 1

Another sub to consider is the Cinema F20 sub. It is similar to the big Tuba HT spec wise but a bit larger size and easier to build.

I have a pair in use with my Quarter Pie bass horns and the transition at 60 HZ  between the two is seamless. Not a hint of being "flabby."

I also have a Tuba Table and agree if it sounded flabby something wasn't right, but with a speaker like the Jubes I would go with a bigger sub like the Tuba HT or F20 (or one of the big new Klipsch horn subs).

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

miketn 

That's what I heard also, 2-3 db difference is pretty much the only difference. I have no idea how low it really goes and do not care, whatever it is is plenty to me. if it's not quite as low as some sub's it positively makes up for in the quality of bass and clean volume, I don't need the last little bit of vibration below whatever it does already. With a movie the other night we quickly figured out we do NOT need any more lower frequencies, vibration and feelings from a sub. 

When Roy was trying different things switching things off and on I was standing on the side of him right in front of one of the openings. All of a sudden he did something and it came on kind of loud and I was hit in the leg with the sound, air or pressure, something slapped me in the leg and I jumped not expecting it. I had no idea it could do that considering the size of the two openings, it felt like air pressure and sound waves blowing from the mouth of the horn. He thought it was funny.

When we tried the movie we had the house vibrating, I have no idea how loud it was or how much power the sub was using, the receiver was on -7, it's an old Pioneer elite VSX-82TXS. The next time I do something like that I need to look at what lights are lit on the sub amp (Crown 1002 bridged). 

Mike,

If you've got the room (...and that's a big "if"...because these things are HUGE...), then I second the notion of a KPT-1802-HLS or its little brother (mentioned above) the KPT-1502-MLS.  Either one would probably fit your bill of high output without having to worry about pushing too much power through it to offload some of the bass duty from the Jub bass bins.  Crossing over at perhaps 60-80 Hz would cut the power through the Jubs bass bins quite a bit and preserve the cleanness in sound in both units.

I'd give Cory a PM to see what he might be able to do for you.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tromprof said:

Another sub to consider is the Cinema F20 sub. It is similar to the big Tuba HT spec wise but a bit larger size and easier to build.

MUCH easier to build and goes a whisker deeper than the THT.  If you're into DIY, the F-20 is a great bang for your buck horn loaded sub.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. some very helpful suggestions. I've never owned a sub before so I want to make the right choice. The guy who would build the Tuba tht also suggested i take a look at the T60 or titan 48. It's not that I didn't like the small table tuba, i just expected more kick drum, it did other frequencies just fine so that might be why I thought it sounded flabby. 

Chris, I've talked to Cory and I think it might be awhile before the 1502's become available. I'm willing to wait if it is in fact the best match for jubes. The 1802 is just to big to get in my room without major surgery to the house. Even the 1502 will be a challenge with my layout but it is doable.

Mike.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Md5150 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. some very helpful suggestions. I've never owned a sub before so I want to make the right choice. The guy who would build the Tuba tht also suggested i take a look at the T60 or titan 48. It's not that I didn't like the small table tuba, i just expected more kick drum, it did other frequencies just fine so that might be why I thought it sounded flabby. 

Chris, I've talked to Cory and I think it might be awhile before the 1502's become available. I'm willing to wait if it is in fact the best match for jubes. The 1802 is just to big to get in my room without major surgery to the house. Even the 1502 will be a challenge with my layout but it is doable.

Mike.

The Table Tuba loaded with an 8" driver would be perfect for a pair of Heresy or similar type loudspeaker, not the right tool for Jubilee's.

The Titan 48 will not dig much lower than the current mains as it needs a 40 Hz high pass filter.

A Tuba 60 would work great but also needs a 25 Hz high pass filter,  the same as the Klipsch 1802 sub.

• Klipsch Employees
15 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

miketn 

Correct Miketn. What kind of sub do you have? :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Look into a Othorn or Skhorn.  Plans and cut sheets link below.  These are both horn loaded options and have a very good reputation.  Also you have the ability to use a higher end driver if you wish.  

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Cqb4ccTog6V1RIOE1OMGp5Sk0

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Cqb4ccTog6WEJneHV2X0RIZ28

Yes it did Christy!!! :o

Thanks very much for sharing, I missed the previous thread that Rich just referenced. :blink:

I have not been through the subwoofer section lately, but with today being our Thanksgiving up here in Canada I had some spare time

to do some reading and then subsequently dragging my F-20 sub out of the HT room and putting it in my 2 channel room with my Jub-wannabes.

The F-20 looks like a small toy compared to your guy's new set-up... VERY B) 

• Like 1