Heresy Help

Dylanthecat

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Those are a nice pick up. They are heresy industrial slant monitors, typically used on stages lying on their sides. They will have a heavier duty woofer in them and also A somewhat beefed up crossover to handle a higher power input and output.

Yes, they are somewhat rare Heresy Stage Monitors. 

If you will pull the back off and show us their naughty bits, we can tell you more about them.  Likely they are old enough that you will want to replace the crossover capacitors with new ones.  That will brighten them up some.  You can upgrade the tweeters with Klipsch K-77-F or B&C DE-120/Fastrac Tweeter horns and do away with that ribbon tweeter. 

Thank you. I will post photos of the internals later. The super tweeters used are a high-end HF enhancement rather than a replacement. Still trying to grapple with the science behind them. I was of the opinion they lived in the realm of HiFi Snake Oil until I heard their impact on high performance speakers - WOW. I am a convert there. Martin

Heresy_003.jpg

If crossover is updated and the stock tweeter is working correctly I doubt you will need the extra tweeter on top. You could also get new and better tweeters from Bob Crites,,,,,,,the reason behind that is the replacement diaphragms for k-77 are not available anymore I don't think. But those are awesome wish I could find some just like that. I would keep them industrial looking my self.

They sound fantastic, right up there with my Maggies, ProAC, Apogee, Ruark, B&W, Tannoys, Royd et al. I paid 300GBP here in the UK but supply and demand needs to be considered - there is demand and very very little supply - sellers market. I thought it was more than a fair price. One lady owner, who brought them from new as a matched pair, never gigged, relocated across the pond from San Fransico, hence being available here - very quiet life. They will not have been recapped so that is a must. Any recommendations on caps make and range? Martin

Three hundred pounds is a very good price for those.  That's just over $US400. 

I had my H-BRs covered in Mahogany and stained dark red, with a water-based satin polyurethane finish.  I had kids at the time.  Now, I would change the finish to boiled linseed oil.  Of your choices, I'd pick zebra wood and keep it light colored. 

For the caps, I'd choose a good film and foil cap with tighter tolerances (to help ensure quality).  You could do worse than Solens.  I have used them several times and been quite happy with them.  I have Hovland Musicaps in my La Scalas and they have been great.  The new Musicaps and Hovland's new version, plus other good choices are available at hificollective.co.uk.  The prices looked typical.