Loving this sub

dtel's wife

• Moderators
On 9/25/2017 at 9:50 PM, Schu said:

Are the cabinets similar is size (LxWxH)?

Yes similar, the 1502 is a little smaller, it is 68" wide, 27" deep and 45" tall. I was told 2.5 - 3 db less than the 1802 in output.

mwm.jpeg

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Schu said:

I wonder... if the Corp had no interest in producing these if the schematics would be available for the DYI'ers...

It's my understanding they will be going into production, just a question of when that will happen. They are "under patent". 

The 1802s are already in production 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Hey Dtel's..........congrats on the new sub.  And you are lucky to get a house call from Roy for the setup.  I am sure things sound very nice today.  Enjoy.  :)

Thanks, your right it does sound very nice and lucky to have Roy come by. He has been here before, last time he was here I asked him to check out the 2 ch and adjust as needed, we listened and he said "what's wrong with that". I told him I thought nothing was wrong but was hoping he would change something since it's always nice to get a second opinion especially with his experience, he laughed at me, Bonehead. He never touched anything we just listened. 

This time was a little different we were adding a different sub and he wanted to add his computer for some music he had. The way I had it was working great but the DAC really limited the input connections and left me not being able to hook up some things I wanted. I couldn't put anything through from the satellite or Ipad/computer.

He wanted to use the HT receiver pre outs to make connecting and switching easier, I tried to resist because the last receiver I tried this with sounded bad comparing to just the DAC. But a different (older) receiver was tried and it sounded the same as the DAC but made everything much easier to control and connect anything I wanted.  It's old but sounds good on the pre outs, I was surprised how good it sounds, the other AVR did not compared well to the DAC, this one is a pioneer elite vsx- 82 txs and is doing great, it's sounding as good or better than anything I have tried.  

Everything is sounding better, especially the Forte ll HT, this sub made a big difference with movies and music compared to that Danely spud clone. For movies it's was a little shocking at first, I kind of had the volume cranked up and when a bass heavy part in the movie started we all just looked at each other surprised. Roy had never heard a Forte Ht or the 1502 in a house and used for HT. I asked him if I should turn it down and he said NO, that's cool, everything was vibrating and shaking. I have found many more rattles around the house, including a sign hanging on the outside wall on the porch 34' away which we found when we went outside to take a break. My Grandson was in his room playing a video game online, he said I usually can hear it and feel a little vibration but now the whole wall was vibrating and the people he was gaming with asked him why he was laughing, he likes this stuff.

Of course the 1502 is much more powerful and sounds much bigger but the real surprise was how much cleaner it sounds, and it blends in perfectly, it's crossed at 80. With the MWM/402 it sounds great, it sounds very musical to me and blends perfectly with the other bass horns, still crossed at 80, the spud sub was crossed at 40.

Sounds great to me 

• Like 3

• Moderators
11 hours ago, John Albright said:

Well, I'm one to talk with 9 lbs of sub in a 10 lb box, but that is one HUUUge Home Theater Sub!!!

It is on the big side but worth every inch.

It replaced an entertainment center that was an inch shorter and about 6-8" wider, so it looks like even more space up there than before. Also it sounds so much better than that entertainment center, :) and it runs circles around that danley spud clone sub I used before this. 

I love the sound quality from this thing with music and for movies it's a little shocking. 

Do you mind me asking the delay setting for the 1502 sub being used with the MWM?..............or does the MWM have a delay now? 

Also, what is the slope of the 80hz crossover?  24 or 48?  I assume this is being done with the Crown XTI?

Just interested in what makes it tick.

Thank you Christy for this post.  It will be used to get the estrogen crowd excited about subs that otherwise appeal only to those with an overdose of testosterone.;)

When Roy wrote he was bringing bass, did you think he meant something you'd have to clean and cook?

Enjoy your great sub and Roy's expert setup.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Do you mind me asking the delay setting for the 1502 sub being used with the MWM?..............or does the MWM have a delay now? 

Also, what is the slope of the 80hz crossover?  24 or 48?  I assume this is being done with the Crown XTI?

Just interested in what makes it tick.

I have to admit, I don't know, really never thought about it until you asked. It's sounds crazy I know

We were re routing all the wiring for both the Ht and 2 ch and Roy put the settings in the XTI 1002 for the sub and made a change to the DX-38, I have no idea what he did. I did ask about the crossover point which is 80 since it's for the mwm's and the forte ht.

We started listening and I never went back and asked, I know, it's embarrassing but if I like the sound I don't tinker I just play music. In the past I did connect a computer to the DX and played with a different program leaving the original alone, I always went back to the original, it sounded better to me.

When we were done I asked for the DX and XTI to be locked as to not lose the settings, kids and grandkids when we're not home bother me if they would turn any knobs.

Sorry but Roy would know.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, holtrp said:

Beautiful design, I love that heritage Klipsch look.

Has anyone measured this thing yet? Any spec sheets? They should send one to data bass to see how it stacks up. 

We love the look also, apparently we have a thing for big plywood boxes, it sure seems that way. I stained and sealed it with thinned red oak stain and sprayed it with poly to try and match the mwm cabinets, it just happen to be in raw wood as a prototype, normally it's like the old Fords, you can get them in any color as long as it's black.  I guess when they start making them it will have the spec's for advertising, I have no idea when that may be ?

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Thank you Christy for this post.  It will be used to get the estrogen crowd excited about subs that otherwise appeal only to those with an overdose of testosterone.;)

When Roy said he was bring bass, did you think he meant something you'd have to clean and cook?

Enjoy your great sub and Roy's expert setup.

That's one thing about Roy he loves to fish, but will not eat a bass, only releases them. I tease him about that, I told him I seen a t shirt I am going to make, it has a skeleton of a fish on it and it says fillet and release.

He did do a great job making everything easier to operate and blending it all together.  For a week before he got here I used my old subs plate amp to run the new sub, and it sounded way better than my other sub. But when he set up the XTI and messed with the DX-38 it was so much better, I knew I was just somewhat hearing what the new sub was like but had no idea of how much difference it would make when done right. 

I still can't believe Christy likes bass like that in movies, she never really liked movies before and action movies even less, now she wants to watch movies with bass and not just the whiny ones. 

It's just Roy I guess, :huh: he designed it and set it up, so now it's all fine,.....................OK I'm good with it.    :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

No it's a 1502, the 1802's little brother. Same exact design just a little smaller, originally he thought about doing 3, 1802, 1502 and a 1202, not sure if that is still an idea or not he never said.

Edit; went and checked, the 1502 is 3"shorter, 6" smaller width and 4" less in depth compared to the 1802.

• Moderators

Not quite sure that @Chief bonehead has seen this thread yet.  Hopefully he will see it, read through the comments and the questions presented here and offer some answers.

Honestly, all of you know that I've never been one to study the "technical" stuff.  I just know what I like to hear out of our system.  I truly wish more women understood and appreciated the concept of good audio.

@dtel, may have described it best for me, "Roy designed it, set it up and it's all fine".  I can't really add anymore to that statement.  I've never made it a secret about my feelings for Roy, both professionally and personally.  He is truly one of the most incredible people I've ever met.  It's always a privilege to have him visit our home and for us to visit his home....and an honor to have his personal prototype of the 1502 integrated into our system.

• Like 2