Loving this sub

dtel's wife

• Moderators

Got to see Roy again last weekend, so I asked him, what did you do with the DSP's in the Crown when you set it all up ?

He said NO DSP's were set, only the crossover, I was very surprised. I thought for sure he needed to set some of the DSP's but no, so in other words this sub sounds like this with just a 80 Hz crossover. I'm more impressed now knowing this is how it sounds without any adjustments. 

Still liking it :lol:

• Like 2

On 9/28/2017 at 10:23 AM, dtel said:

We love the look also, apparently we have a thing for big plywood boxes, it sure seems that way. I stained and sealed it with thinned red oak stain and sprayed it with poly to try and match the mwm cabinets, it just happen to be in raw wood as a prototype, normally it's like the old Fords, you can get them in any color as long as it's black

I asked Roy specifically about this at the last pilgrimage. He said anyone is free to order any Klipsch Pro gear in a birch raw cabinet and finish to their desired hearts content. Black Jub cabinets (or one of these subs) would be a No Go with me. But that's just me and my preferences.

• 1 year later...
On 9/28/2017 at 12:14 AM, dtel said:

and it runs circles around that danley spud clone sub I used before this. 

Well Two little 8" drivers in a tapped horn cannot ever compare to a ported 15" Heavy Driver in a FULL Horn of 47 Cubic feet (vs. only 13.7 Cubic feet for the SPUD clone).........just sayin' I'm not surprised at the vast improvement!

• Moderators

Your right, the spud did well for depth and pretty good volume, but in cleanliness and effortless, it is not even close. But considering how cheap it is to build a spud it does well, especially for movies which it was designed for.

I like to set the subs so they don't stand out but just fill in but when deep bass happens, more so in movies it can't help but to stand out and surprise everyone. I do tend to bump up the bass a little for movies just for fun, I have seen with movies a flashing red light on the Crown which is bridged at 1000w 8 ohms.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2017 at 10:41 AM, dtel said:

No it's a 1502, the 1802's little brother. Same exact design just a little smaller, originally he thought about doing 3, 1802, 1502 and a 1202, not sure if that is still an idea or not he never said.

Edit; went and checked, the 1502 is 3"shorter, 6" smaller width and 4" less in depth compared to the 1802.

Darn it,

Now I need one to place between my Jubilee's...

9 minutes ago, Speed said:

Now I need one to place between my Jubilee's...

I've had a 1502 for a couple of months now and you are correct it does work great with Jubilees. Mine are set to crossover at 50Hz and am using an amp similar to the one @dtel uses although I have the Xilica controller. Its hard for me to explain what the 1502 does but it is clean and accurate and timbre is right, on top of that it just keeps going as long as the power is clean. I was listening to the Wishbone Ash Argus album and the bass is so right I had to switch from playing air guitar to air bass.

I highly recommend the 1502 and is perfect fit for Jubilees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ole Dollar said:

Didn't know they were available. Do they have a low pass filter, or do you have to use an active crossover? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/5/2019 at 11:17 PM, Ole Dollar said:

I've had a 1502 for a couple of months now and you are correct it does work great with Jubilees. Mine are set to crossover at 50Hz and am using an amp similar to the one @dtel uses although I have the Xilica controller. Its hard for me to explain what the 1502 does but it is clean and accurate and timbre is right, on top of that it just keeps going as long as the power is clean. I was listening to the Wishbone Ash Argus album and the bass is so right I had to switch from playing air guitar to air bass.

I would have to agree!  Loving my 1502!!!  :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 4/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, Speed said:

Didn't know they were available. Do they have a low pass filter, or do you have to use an active crossover? 

On 4/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, Schu said:

Active..

In an active setup but the sub has no dsp's.

On 5/3/2019 at 1:10 PM, rockhound said:

Really wish they would make a smaller version like with a 10" or 12" driver.

if you were to use the same horn profile a sub built with a smaller diameter driver would end up having to be longer than the same sub built with an 18" woofer. You cannot scale horns thay are the length they are due to wavelength. If you go from a 1/4 wave length horn to a 1/8 wave length horn it will work but it will not sound as good. One of the reasons that with horns bigger is better.

• Like 1

The difference between the 1802 and 1502 cabinets is just a couple inches each dimension.  It still has impressive output and extension.  I'll bet a 1202 could be made in the same manner and still be more than adequate.