Loving this sub

dtel's wife

17 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The difference between the 1802 and 1502 cabinets is just a couple inches each dimension.  It still has impressive output and extension.  I'll bet a 1202 could be made in the same manner and still be more than adequate. 

That is what I was thinking even a 1002 would be plenty I would think in a medium sized room.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 5/3/2019 at 2:48 PM, moray james said:

if you were to use the same horn profile a sub built with a smaller diameter driver would end up having to be longer than the same sub built with an 18" woofer. You cannot scale horns thay are the length they are due to wavelength. no you go from a 14 wave horn to a 1/8 wave horn and it will work but it will not sound as good. One of the reasons that with horns bigger is better.

I asked about that. I asked can you just downsize the cabinet the same amount as the difference in drivers? The answer was yes, but only as a place to start, it is like redesigning a mew sub all over again. You can start with that size but must make changes it's only a rough estimate which will need changes. 

I am glad they kept the same look as the 1802, I love that look, and the performance is very clean and powerful. It sounds so good you can get in the habit of adding too much bass for music, but then something comes on with hot bass and you quickly realize you need to back it down a little to sound right.

• Like 1

I’m certainly not good at math, but going off the differences in cab measurements and applying it to a 12” and 10” version, they would both still be very big. Of course I’m sure I’m way off and you’d need to take into account the driver surface area and horn length/mouth size. And who knows what else. I think I’ll just have to leave the design stuff up to the people that know what the hell they are doing. It’d be cool to know the actual theoretical external dimensions though. 

1802       1502      1202     1002

SA 254.47 / 176.71 / 113.1 / 78.54

H       48           45         42.18   39.55

W      74           68         62.48   57.41

D       31           27         23.51   20.48

• Like 1