RP-250F White Insulation Loose

Kris

I just purchased, unpacked, and inspected my new pair of RP-250F speakers yesterday and observed that inside one of the speakers rear port, the white insulation material was loose and covering the port. See attached picture. Should I return speaker for replacement ? 

20170924_195320.jpg

The port is too small to get my hand through. I went to store where I purchased and the sales person has never seen this problem before. The sales person and I examined three other demo speakers and observed no problems with them. I need Klipsch technical support to give me official response of whether this insulation material was originally attached to side of enclosure in any way and has suffered a defect. I am disappointed that Klipsch has a manufacturing/control problem with this. 

@Kris

It is not a manufacturing defect of any kind.  None of the insulation in any of the Klipsch speakers of the Reference line are attached.  They never have been.  I have speakers that date from the original production of the Reference line all the way up through the generation before this.  They never attached them.  There's no reason to.

The resolution for this is to either open the speaker and reappropriate where the insulation is, or to use some kind of apparatus to move the insulation away from the port.

Not really a control problem.  Speakers get shipped once (sometimes twice), then they sit.

A finger pushing it back up past the port is just fine.  The insulation is not glued.  It is just added so that the spring action of the foam being folded can hold it in place.

If you went back to the store, you should have brought the speaker and swapped it with another if doing that is troubling.  May have been a person not paying attention when they stuck it in the cabinet or may have moved in shipping.

This is a design/manufacturing defect and should be corrected. The speaker designers added this material for a reason and during the manufacturing process it is installed in the intended location for that purpose. I am confident that the speaker designers did not intend for it to flop around in some of the speakers. There is nothing in the User Guide for maintenance or re-positioning of this material by end-user. It is located in the interior of the speaker that is not accessible by end-user. No other speakers I have ever owned require the end-user to fix internal components/materials when it is brand new.

And I've owned plenty of other speakers that have had insulation jozzle from it's intended position in shipping and end up in front of a port or directly behind a driver.  It's not that huge of an issue.  It is not a defect.  A defect would prevent your speakers from working properly and require a warranty claim.  A defect would prevent the speaker from functioning at the specified range.  A defect would pose a potential hazard.  A defect is something that is not easily corrected by a simple 3 second fix of pushing something back into place (no more of work required than putting the feet on).

If you do as mentioned, and simply push the insulation away from the port, the issue would be resolved.  It doesn't take long to do - there are no special tools, no shop time required, no invalidation of the warranty.

I have tried to push the insulation to one side, but the RP-250F port is too small for my hand and just pushing with my fingers is not resulting in the insulation being seated to the side. It could be too that the insulation was not cut to the proper size and that is why it is flopping around. 

Looking at the back, the port looks to come out easily. (4 screws)  That's your best bet of entry if moving it with your finger isn't working.  That way you aren't messing with any of the electronics either.  In the floor standing models, the padding is just laid in the bottom of the cabinet.  My guess is somewhere in the chain of shipping it was turned upside down.

7 hours ago, Kris said:

This is a design/manufacturing defect and should be corrected. The speaker designers added this material for a reason and during the manufacturing process it is installed in the intended location for that purpose. I am confident that the speaker designers did not intend for it to flop around in some of the speakers. There is nothing in the User Guide for maintenance or re-positioning of this material by end-user. It is located in the interior of the speaker that is not accessible by end-user. No other speakers I have ever owned require the end-user to fix internal components/materials when it is brand new.

If it is the same type of port that is on the RP-160m, which I have, the port unscrews.  Either way there are cost and design considerations and stuff happens in transit.  If it is too hard to move, bring it back.  That is what a warranty is for.

The implementation is somewhat loose and designed that way (no pun intended here either) but functions 999 out of 1000 times in transit. 

• Like 1