Crossover installation

Maximus89

I’ve got stock AL’s that I’m trying to replace with a different pair of crossovers.

my issue is that the stock AL uses fuses so I’m trying to connect the input but there’s only one positive wire that goes from the input to the HF fuse holder which is also soldered and connected to the LF fuse holder which it’s wire is soldered to the AL crossover.

what do I do here? How do I connect it to the new crossover without soldering. (I don’t have a soldering iron and I don’t know how)

image.jpg

Basically do I just snip off all the wires that go to the fuses? 

I’m reusing the wires bc the guy didn’t ship the crossovers with any, so I basically have to buy wire and crimp on some of those connectors and just go positive to negative? 

Does Home Depot sell that wire? I guess it’s a perfect opportunity to use longer wire so I can set the crossover on top of my La Scala in order to play around with the attenuation. Do I need any special type of wire?

So i snipped the fuse wire that was soldered to the AL.  That's all i needed i guess bc im hooked up and running.

SO...apparently these are custom built crossovers based on ALK Universal schematic. Al says he didn't build them, and other than that "The tweeter / squawker filter inductors are the wrong thing. They are sold wire. They should be Litz. Other than that they are probably ok. Some of the parts are special from me and others are of his own origin"

It's only been about 4 songs in and so far i'm really disappointed.   I have yet to attenuate  the mids or tweeters but right now compared to the stock AL, the mids are really harsh on the default 6/-0 setting. 

That's basically the only difference i hear from the stock AL right now. Too forward.  I suppose the high freq. are a bit more noticeable but nothing that really stands out. Vocals still kind of sound veiled.   :unsure:

Turns out i was hooked up wrong.  The fuse wire that was soldered to the stock AL that i cut, left me a single positive wire to connect to the input on the new crossover with no negative to connect to the terminal.   I got sound so i figured that's all i needed.  But the sound was harsh and hurt my ears even at the lowest settings for attenuation, they still hurt my ears and i was still bothered that it wouldn't work if i took the fuses out.  So i went in and cut all the wires going to the fuses and went in with my positive and negative wires from the input on the ALK universal to the terminal and now i have nice full bass that i never knew i could get out of the La Scala and the mids aren't hurting my ear and i've even raised the decibels louder on the mid just to test it and my ears are relaxed and enjoying some Sade right now.  

I'm happy :)

• Like 1

Your pictures don't have a good angle, but I'd run a negative from the input terminal to the negative input of the ALK network and a wire from the positive input terminal to one LF fuse terminal and continue from the other fuse terminal to the positive ALK input.  Install a 5 amp fast-blow fuse in the LF fuse holder and abandon the HF fuse.  You might consider a 3 amp slow-blow, as well.  Putting the fuse in the negative leg, is fine, too. 

You can get appropriate 14 or 16 gauge wire at any electronics or hardware store. 

Maximus, Here are two links to threads about ALK Universal networks that show schematics that may help you

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/124362-alk-universal-crossover/

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/110366-why-is-the-alk-universal-network-universal/

These show ALK's version with bi-amp input while your version does not appear to have the bi-amp input.

19 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

Turns out i was hooked up wrong.  The fuse wire that was soldered to the stock AL that i cut, left me a single positive wire to connect to the input on the new crossover with no negative to connect to the terminal.   I got sound so i figured that's all i needed.  But the sound was harsh and hurt my ears even at the lowest settings for attenuation, they still hurt my ears and i was still bothered that it wouldn't work if i took the fuses out.  So i went in and cut all the wires going to the fuses and went in with my positive and negative wires from the input on the ALK universal to the terminal and now i have nice full bass that i never knew i could get out of the La Scala and the mids aren't hurting my ear and i've even raised the decibels louder on the mid just to test it and my ears are relaxed and enjoying some Sade right now.  

I'm happy :)

That's a good job of troubleshooting, it's hard to spot your own mistakes.  

It sounds like that fuse has given you fits so it's good that it's finally gone.  You are not going to be using the LS for hours on end at high SPL like you would if it were in a club so I don't think you are going to miss it.

What is your setup now?  I heard the  @Youthman three LS setup with some large subs on either side of the center La Scala and the sound stage was the best I've ever heard.  He had that puppy dialed in, it could play loud, and it was clean.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

That's a good job of troubleshooting, it's hard to spot your own mistakes.  

It sounds like that fuse has given you fits so it's good that it's finally gone.  You are not going to be using the LS for hours on end at high SPL like you would if it were in a club so I don't think you are going to miss it.

What is your setup now?  I heard the  @Youthman three LS setup with some large subs on either side of the center La Scala and the sound stage was the best I've ever heard.  He had that puppy dialed in, it could play loud, and it was clean.

Man...you're right about the fuses being a pain in the *** from the get go.  Took a month just to find the right cap haha...

I'm actually being forced to go 3 LCR with a single La Scala surround behind the listening position, and it might be for the best as im starting to miss the center for movies.  The reason im being forced is b/c i used 2 front and 2 surround on a 7 channel Marantz and then for the first time decided to bi-amp using the rear channels.  I noticed a huge difference right away and decided i would never not bi-amp.  At first, i found it odd that the surrounds stopped working the moment i started to bi-amp the front 2.  After a few days, they started working again and all was good.  Then out of the blue, the surround left channel just stopped working.  I freaked for a few nights thinking it was my LS that was bad, but then i did troubleshooting switching speakers and HF and LF bins with different lS and switching them to different channels and all signs point to surround L not working anymore.  So therefor my only option is to use LCR with stereo being bi-amped and a single LS surround.  Might be good enough for my small room.

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Is that even the correct crossover for a La Scala?  What was it designed to work in?  That looks like a Klipschorn input plate that it was attached to previously.

It's built from ALK universal schematic, using solid wire inductors instead of Litz like Al uses and also the builder chose his own caps from the looks of it(anyone got any suggestions for higher end replacement caps for later down the line).  They are called universal because they work in almost any 3 way Klipsch according to Al's website (alkeng.com).  I did speak with Al and mentioned i was putting them in a La Scala and he didn't even mention anything about it, but mentioned the network would be fine.  

I'm almost 100% certain they can be used for Cornscala's, La Scalas, Belles and KHorns. 

I am curious though about "almost any" 3 way Klipsch as he describes in his website but doesn't explain which wont work.  

Does that mean i can also play with this network in my Chorus II?  Anyone know?   

21 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

No, only the big three Klipschorn, Belle & La Scala.

and the Cornscala

But, not sure if that's correct.  I don't see why he would write 

"The original "ALK Universal" replacement crossover network for the Klipschorn, La Scala and Belle Klipsch as been reimplemented to create an affordable option for nearly any Klipsch based 3-way loudspeaker."

4 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Nearly being the key word.

I’m sorry but that doesn’t make sense to me. You’re saying it’s limited to the big 3 heritage only and you think saying “nearly” ALL 3 way Klipsch speakers confirms that? He could have just simply written “for the Klipschorn, La Scala and Belle ONLY.”

I suppose only only one way to find out. Let me send Al an email and get back to you.

22 hours ago, Maximus89 said:
22 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

No, only the big three Klipschorn, Belle & La Scala.

and the Cornscala

But, not sure if that's correct.  I don't see why he would write 

Remember, the Cornscala is NOT a Klipsch speaker.  It is DIY from Crites.  It can also be purchased pre-assembled.

What Is a Cornscala?

It is not a Klipsch speaker, but was inspired by a couple of different Klipsch speakers. ...(snip)

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, raeggis said:

How was the result?

I never tried it in the Chorus II. The universal can't be used with the Chorus II.  I sold the La Scalas along with the crossovers.  Still have the Chorus II.  My regret is that i sold both pairs of La Scalas when i should have kept 1 pair, but i love my Chorus II and hoping i can get some money saved up and get crossovers from DeanG.