Which brand receiver to reduce brightness

Damian

Looking for some advice, I recently purchased an rp250f speaker system Incl centre surrounds and sub. My concern is that when listening to music in 2 Chanel I find the speakers to bright for some female vocalists, (a little ear piecing.) I'm currently running an Arcam Avr 360 amp and thinking of replacing it with an amp with warmer sound to reduce harshness. 

Any suggestions, I have read marantz go well with klipsch.

Damian,

Welcome to the forum.

2 hours ago, Ski Bum said:

Not to state the obvious, but use the Arcam's tone controls.  (page 26 in the owners manual)

I agree here but also try toeing the RP-250F's out or in so as to not have the tweeters shooting directly toward your ears.  Slightly off axis may help some.  Also room acoustics like hard surfaces all around can contribute to that harshness.

5 hours ago, Damian said:

I'm currently running an Arcam Avr 360 amp and thinking of replacing it with an amp with warmer sound to reduce harshness. 

That may help but Arcam's sound signature is often described as pretty neutral so play with tone controls, placement, and room acoustics first.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I had already tried tone adjustments but hadn't played around with toe in / out. Have always had the speakers angled a fair way in toward the listening position (probably because my old speakers had poor imaging) Have just completed some brief tests with the speakers toed out a little more and it has made a noticeable difference ( don't know why I didn't try it before) I'll continue running with this and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the advice.

47 minutes ago, Damian said:

Have always had the speakers angled a fair way in toward the listening position (probably because my old speakers had poor imaging) Have just completed some brief tests with the speakers toed out a little more and it has made a noticeable difference ( don't know why I didn't try it before) I'll continue running with this and see how it goes.

Glad to help.  My RF-63's shoot straight towards my ears and sound great but when I had my Forte I's, I had to listen to them a little off axis.

Bill

• Like 1

That is a VERY common symptom of an overly reflective room.  Sometimes it can be poor recordings, too.  Klipsch is famous for ruthlessly reproducing what it is fed.  Changing electronics is a poor choice, considering the piece you have.  Changing electronics to flavor the music is something I would not do. 

• Like 2

Yep. I went from Yamaha and Onkyo to Marantz and instantly noticed it was warm and better mated for my Chorus II or La Scalas. Now when I try to go back to the Yamaha or Onkyo, it's way too bright.   My only issue with the Marantz and why I sometimes switch back to the Onkyo or Yamaha is that there's a lot of noise with the Marantz.  Maybe it's just my receiver that needs repair, but there's tons of noise coming out of all speakers that I didn't hear with my Yamaha or Onkyo so it can't be a ground loop/noise b/c it wasn't there with the Yammy or Onkyo.   The sound is a static/white noise that cuts in and out.  Extremely annoying when I'm listening to 2ch music as my surround La Scalas are right behind my seat and I hear all the "shhhhhhhhhhhhhsssssss" blasting in my ear from the surrounds.  (Marantz SR7007)

As JA said....its you room.  i had a set for a year and did not have this issue.

people spend years and $$$$$ chasing a bad room with different equipment

a couple acoustic panels on the side walls will improve everything

dont be afraid and dont hesitate....its about $100 (retail) to solve this

same issue people have with the endless questions "should i upgrade my center channel"....in 95% of situations its the room

Thanks for all the advice, 

the room is carpeted and fairly heavily furnished with material roll down blinds covering all windows. Just directing the speakers slightly away from me has made a considerable difference, I'll stick with the Arcam for now although it was a good excuse to get a Dolby atmos receiver😉.

one final question, I currently have a rp110 sub does anyone believe it would be worth adding another 10" sub for HT or eventually just replace it with a larger one. My room is about 23sq metres or around  245 sq ft.

Edited by Damian

8 hours ago, Damian said:

one final question, I currently have a rp110 sub does anyone believe it would be worth adding another 10" sub for HT or eventually just replace it with a larger one. My room is about 23sq metres or around  245 sq ft.

Let me say this.  Though my RF-63 with a single RSW-10d subwoofer system sounded awesome with music and decent with HT, I never got that tactile feel for HT until I added a 15" subwoofer to the mix.

Add a quality larger sub if you want to "feel" the movies you watch.

Bill