Best DIY subwoofer?

Rudy81

I am currently in the process of totally rebuilding my shop and figure at some point I will need a project build.  I am still very happy with my mains and think I will lean toward building an improvement to my Danley SPUD clones.  So, I was wondering what suggestions you guys may have as far as the best performing subwoofer you have built, or have auditioned that someone else built. Size should not be an issue. 

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I am still very happy with my mains and think I will lean toward building an improvement to my Danley SPUD clones. 

I liked my spud clone until I heard a better sub, I wouldn't build another spud again, giving ours to our daughter. I liked it but after hearing something different I realized it's not terribly musical. Could be just me ?

13 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The best performing sub I've built is a Lil Wrecker.  It's a refrigerator sized tapped horn tuned to 17hz.  It uses a single 15 inch driver.

I have never heard this sub Carl is talking about, but myself I would try it or something else over another spud. With all the DIY subs try something different, with all the designs out there it's a tough choice. 

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The best performing sub I've built is a Lil Wrecker.  It's a refrigerator sized tapped horn tuned to 17hz.  It uses a single 15 inch driver.

Same guy (Little Mike, http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1329971-lilmike-s-cinema-f-20-a.html ) also designed my Cinema F20s. Outstanding horn subs, but BIG. If space and DIY are not an issue you can't go wrong with either design.

Do you have a budget in mind?

The best bang-for-buck IMO is two Ultimax 18's and an Inuke 6000 w/DSP, $1200 total.  The savings is in the second sub which only costs a little more since the Inuke can drive both subs.

I have a single DIY Dayton Audio Reference 15.  That is a sealed sub with a Yung SD500 plate amp w/bass boost.  I got a deal on a used plate amp so I have $350 in it and it is incredibly musical.  It doesn't dig as deep as the Ultimax but it sounds incredible and it will rattle the pictures off the wall. 

The advantage to my recommendations is they are available with a flat pack, no cutting required.  HIGHLY recommended.  Remember if you get a plate amp you need bass boost with sealed, no bass boost for ported.

It used to be dual 15"s was the way to go, but 18 is the new 15.  B)

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

Do you have a budget in mind?

The best bang-for-buck IMO is the two Ultimax 18's and an Inuke 6000 w/DSP, $1200 total.  The savings is in the second sub which only costs a little more since the Inuke can drive both subs.

I have a single DIY Dayton Audio Reference 15.  That is a sealed sub with a Yung SD500 plate amp w/bass boost.  I got a deal on a used plate amp so I have $350 in it and it is incredibly musical.  It doesn't dig as deep as the Ultimax but it sounds incredible and it will rattle the pictures off the wall. 

Remember if you get a plate amp you need bass boost with sealed, no bass boost for ported.

It used to be dual 15"s was the way to go, but 18 is the new 15.  B)

I am 100% active these days, so just need to buy the driver and build the box.  The rest is already here.  18 in. minimum is what I am looking at in terms of drivers. Just trying to find a nice DIY system that will fit in my room without causing major problems.

10 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I am 100% active these days, so just need to buy the driver and build the box.

If you have the skills and tools to build the box and route the  holes then I am in awe.  I mentioned the flat packs because they are CNC cut and fit perfectly.  All you need is glue and you could actually use masking tape to hold it together the cuts are so precise.  It is a no-brainer for someone with my lack of woodworking skills, but you have options.

Even the guys who can cut their own boxes like the flat packs because of the ease to put them together, time saving,  and the cost is really not much more than buying and cutting your own MDF.

Maybe @Scrappyduewill weigh in.  I think he has two or four of those Ultimax 18's.

As crazy as it sounds, I really enjoy the process of building the enclosure.  I built the two SPUD clones I have been using for years.  I also built part of the mains I am using now.  I recently got a Sawstop and am in the process of setting my shop back up.  The Sawstop will need a new project.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rudy81 said:

Carl, That thing is huge!  Wow!  I'm trying to drum up some Epik Conquest clone plans but no luck so far.  I always wanted one of those.  I really should focus on getting my shop finished, but I figured I'd better start lining up a project.

I built an Epic clone as well with drivers Derrick gave me.  Let me try to find that thread.

9 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

What is the room size and is this strictly for music?

Room is 20x27x9.  Somewhat a large space.  Lots of acoustic treatment etc.  I use the room for both 2 ch. music, music, live games etc.  I have plenty of bass for music with dual RSW-15's, but am looking more at the LFE possibilities.