Generic remote question for Pioneer

dtel

• Moderators

I know nothing about generic remotes so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I am looking for a cheap remote for a 10 year old receiver, ALL I need it to do is volume and mute, nothing else. Would one of the plain generic remotes do this ?

The receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS, I got it used with no remote but it completely works, but it would be nice to turn it up or down or mute without getting up.

Thanks

• Moderators

I know often times, manufacturers use many of the same codes with their various remotes as I have used remotes that were not the original remote to control units.  I would "think" that would be the same with the Pioneer, especially for common buttons like volume.

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

I am looking for a cheap remote for a 10 year old receiver, ALL I need it to do is volume and mute, nothing else. Would one of the plain generic remotes do this ?

The receiver is a Pioneer Elite VSX-82TXS, I

Does Pioneer have an app for your smartphone?

I have one for iphone for a newer Marantz AVR and I have to admit it works pretty slick.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Youthman said:

I know often times, manufacturers use many of the same codes with their various remotes as I have used remotes that were not the original remote to control units.  I would "think" that would be the same with the Pioneer, especially for common buttons like volume.

Never thought of that, Thanks

48 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I have one for iphone for a newer Marantz AVR and I have to admit it works pretty slick.

I can look, never thought of that either. Thanks

46 minutes ago, Tasdom said:

This one is pretty cheap and free shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repl-Remote-Control-For-Pioneer-VSX-1135-K-VSX-323-VSX-82TXS-XXD3116-AV-Receiver-/181174444042

Scratch that, it ships from China

I did see that one, thought I would look a little more since it's like a month for shipping, wouldn't care if it's from china, probably most generic remotes would be from there anyway ? Thanks

• Moderators
12 hours ago, wvu80 said:

After looking they do but not for the older receivers, and only certain models.

12 hours ago, Tasdom said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Repl-Remote-Control-For-Pioneer-VSX-1135-K-VSX-323-VSX-82TXS-XXD3116-AV-Receiver-/181174444042

This may be what I have to order.

11 hours ago, Youthman said:

11 hours ago, Youthman said:

You're right they may work some of the simpler things like volume but there is no telling, I couldn't find any infomation on if they might. I could end up with a few remotes that work nothing I have, no telling.

So I guess I need to decide to buy the remote from china or maby try a more expensive remote that can run other things also.

Thanks everyone, I just thought I was missing something obvious with the plain generic remotes, it seems if it's just a TV or something common that may have worked.

This receiver works great and sounds really good so I hate to spend the money for a newer model. 

Thanks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dtel said:

This receiver works great and sounds really good so I hate to spend the money for a newer model. 

That's the bottom line, works and sounds great.  My newer AVR's have more bells and whistles but I've never heard any reviewers say the new models sound any better.  I now have the capacity to use Atmos, a feature I'll never use.  I just don't want it. 

Heck, I'm barely tolerant of 5.1, 3.1 being preferred.

+++

My son had the dog eat the remote for his Denon and he got a brand new one from ebay via China.  It was identical to the old one, was reasonably priced and it works perfectly.  That sounds like the way for you to go.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

That's the bottom line, works and sounds great.  My newer AVR's have more bells and whistles but I've never heard any reviewers say the new models sound any better.  I now have the capacity to use Atmos, a feature I'll never use.  I just don't want it. 

Heck, I'm barely tolerant of 5.1, 3.1 being preferred.

+++

My son had the dog eat the remote for his Denon and he got a brand new one from ebay via China.  It was identical to the old one, was reasonably priced and it works perfectly.  That sounds like the way for you to go.

I had a Yamaha RX V730 and it does good for HT, (no HDMI) the pre outs left the 2 ch sounding flat. When at the last pilgrimage a guy brought a bunch of equipment to sell so I talked with him and he had a bunch of receivers, any one for $100. I picked what I thought looked like the best with HDMI, none had the remotes. When I connected it the sounded was much better that my Yamaha for HT and completely different for 2 Ch on the pre outs.

Now both are old and my Yamaha was $5oo when new and this receiver was $12oo new, could have been part of the better sound ? Everything works perfectly on the Pioneer and it sounds really good, so I plan on using it until it dies. I don't change much just to change or try new things I just want it to sound good and it does. 

One reason I thought about a generic remote was because of all the reviews I read about this receiver the only thing anyone said bad was the remote could have been much better. But since all I want is volume and mute it can't be that bad, probably need to just order the remote and wait a few weeks.....been thinking about it for a week already anyway. :lol:    

6.1 for me, because used speakers come in pairs, all set with a db meter, nothing fancy and I'm good

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 9/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, Tasdom said:

Well that's the one I ended up ordering, it just came in today and it works great. Way better than I expected, I think it works everything from what I can tell. I am just happy to not have to get up to change the volume or mute, especially when watching regular TV or football.

Thanks everyone for the ideas, whenever I get a newer receiver will probably look at one that can be ran from a phone or Ipad, finding replacement remotes for broken or worn out ones is a pain. Thanks 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Had to come back and say we are using the multi channel setup more than ever, it has never sounded this good ever. A good sub and receiver makes all the difference, way more than I had ever expected.  

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
  • Moderators

This thread was 5 years old but guess what, your post helped. I might need to replace that remote, the down volume button does not work anymore, and maby a couple others. 

But I still love that receiver, still sounds great and works 100% so I need to get another remote.

Thanks