Big News - Video on Demand up & running

boa12

on my Time Warner digital cable. last night i ordered "Mothman Prophecies" (fair) at the time i wanted. you can play, stop it, pause, fast forward or rewind like watching a dvd. i just go to channel 101 on my dig box dial.

they had tons of older movies & new releases available. cost for this newer movie was same as what Blockbuster charges for dvd rental. they even have free stuff & some older at $1.95. you get 8 hours to get it watched for the paid movies.

this is big. no need to go to Blockbuster any more as long as they have it on TW - " I-control". & no more late fees. 3.gif iow, no need to get off the couch. 2.gif

only downside is they're not yet on DD 5.1. just DD2.0/prologic decoding. i called TW & put in a constructive complaint on this. sounds like dbs has 5.1 on PPV movies. don't know if they have this VOD yet. suppose they could if you have the phone connection to send them info, but don't know how well that works or would work.

ken, thanks for the company. 9.gif for me this is big. no more rentals & late fees, except they still need to do 5.1 sound & the movies right now may not be the latest like say at blockbuster.

this system is time warner cable. its wild going to the tv & being able to stop, start, etc just like a dvd player.

if your dbs box is connected to dsl or maybe even by dial-up, like w/ the ppv channels, you should have it. would think it needs dsl because the uploads have to be pretty fast i would think to do the commands like fast fwd, rewind, etc.

dss might be even better for sound cause i've heard their ppv channels do have 5.1.

what does your dss use to upload info, like when you order a pay-per-view movie?

boa

have you considered netflix? No timeline when you can watch movies. Heck, I have had their Lord Of The Rigs for about a month now if not longer. Well, when ever it came out on dvd in the first place. But then again, you do have to wait until it arrives to watch it.

moon, it sounds great in that regard but i need that instant gratification. w/ this VOD i hit a couple buttons on my remote & get the movie in dvd quality & features. don't even have to get off the couch & instant grat. 9.gif

new movies for about $4 & old for around $2. this should make blockbuster, netflix & tivo extinct unless the movie industry holds it up. it could even make the dvd & player extinct.

iow everything is accessable on a central server rathing than handling at your home. all that's neede for improvement is the movie availability & sound/picture quality (though they're still pretty close to that already).

i have had it since the summer, but it rarely ever works, at least the past month it has'nt. it skips, pauses, or just stops all together :( and the play, pause, ffw, rrw, etc buttons on the remote does not work, you have to go to the menu to do it. i use time warner as well.

when it does work, the picture quality is top quality!

just, i had a few problems w/ the 1st movie, but stopped & restarted & it was fine. other movie was perfect.

also excited about having all those premium movie channels like HBO on VOD/MOD for no added charge. no more having to be at the tv at the exact right time anymore. at least for those channels. eventually it'll be for all channels.

this is the next big leap in technology as long as the studios & broadcasters don't screw it up.