Preamp Owners....What Are You Using?

Youthman

• Moderators

I've always liked the sound of Harman Kardon with Klipsch so I've been using a HK3490 Stereo Receiver as my Preamp connected to an Acurus A200 (200 x 2) amp for my RF-7ii 2ch system. 

At one time, I did try this Rotel RC 1070 Preamp.  It was a beautiful looking unit but I actually preferred the sound of the HK3490 Receiver as a preamp.

rotel-rc-1070-1.jpg

rotel-rc-1070-2.jpg

Just curious what stereo preamps you guys are using with your systems.

I am using the Emotiva XDA-2 as my preamps. The fact that they double as a DAC and triple as a headphone amp makes it a worthy component. Since it has both XLR and RCA active I can run a pair of speakers via XLR to an amp while I run a signal to a powered sub or pair of subs via the RCA. For $200 or less it is hard to beat that flexibility. I really like the DAC it uses too so that makes it even better yet.

• Like 3

Bought a new Onkyo P-3000R and also have a Carver C-1 with the BillD mods with remote control.   I like that the Onkyo has dual preamp outputs which one is adjustable for when you do a bi-amp setup and your amps don't have gain adjustments on them.  It had all of the digital and analog inputs I needed in one heavy duty chassis.  Separate power supplies for digital and analog sections, too.

20170719_125045.jpg

Rear view (not mine...stock photo)

Image result for onkyo p-3000r

• Like 1

Michael,

I say if you like the sound of the HK, then look into a B&K PT-3 or PT-5 stereo preamps or if you need digital inputs, look at a B&K Reference 50 pre/pro.  All do stereo music very well and can be found very reasonably priced on the used market.

Bill

• Like 1

Prior to the MX-113, I was using a H/K 730 twin receiver as my preamp for my McIntosh MC-752.  over all the McIntosh pre tuner won me over with it's high detail and clarity, but it was a tough sell.  haha  the 730 and the MC-752 were quite musical together.

StackInTosh.JPG

Edited by isotopesope
  • Like 3