Preamp Owners....What Are You Using?

Youthman

1 minute ago, scalawag said:

Sorry 'bout that - I lined up the "markers" for photo purposes only.  In normal operation the knobs are closer to the 9:00 position.  

I imagined that was probably the case.  That would be really loud on La Scalas!  Do you run in Class A mostly?

6 hours ago, willland said:

Michael,

I say if you like the sound of the HK, then look into a B&K PT-3 or PT-5 stereo preamps or if you need digital inputs, look at a B&K Reference 50 pre/pro.  All do stereo music very well and can be found very reasonably priced on the used market.

Bill

I actually have a minty Ref 50 w/ original remote. Have thought of selling but just can't bring myself to selling something I spent $2,800 for $300 (or less lol)

29 minutes ago, muel said:

I imagined that was probably the case.  That would be really loud on La Scalas!  Do you run in Class A mostly?

No, I keep the amps set in A/B operation.  My ears aren't sensitive enough to distinguish the claimed difference in audio quality  between class A and A/B (consider yourself fortunate if you can!), but I can certainly feel the higher temps when run in A mode.  With the SP14 running tubes I like to keep the surrounding electronics as cool as possible.  

Good thread Michael.

For preamps I own an HK 3390, Pioneer SC-77 (HT receiver), and recently purchased an Emotiva PT-100.

The unit I use most is an HK 730 with its on board amps. It has preamp outs for an external but not needed for me. Sounds excellent on its own.

Lots of McIntosh suggestions. Haven't heard one yet!

• Like 2

• Moderators
8 hours ago, willland said:

Michael,

I say if you like the sound of the HK, then look into a B&K PT-3 or PT-5 stereo preamps or if you need digital inputs, look at a B&K Reference 50 pre/pro.  All do stereo music very well and can be found very reasonably priced on the used market.

Bill

Thanks Bill.  I don’t need digital.  Only thing I have connected is the 3.5mm analog from the Apple Airport Express

you guys have some beautiful gear.  Loving the photos as well as your setups

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Thanks Bill.  I don’t need digital.  Only thing I have connected is the 3.5mm analog from the Apple Airport Express

you guys have some beautiful gear.  Loving the photos as well as your setups

I have owned three B&K PT-3 preamps and they are great.  Warmish/neutral sound signature with great detail in the highs.  Very versatile with bass management(high pass, low pass) and a very fine radio tuner on board.  I usually see these for $100.00 to $150.00.

Bill

I have had few well regarded preamps, the only one I have kept was a Pilot sp 210, but in my main set up I use my cd with variable volumn control and it sounds quite nice. Something about the HK 7600ii built like a tank and has bested my oppo cd player and a very nice denon.... almost sounds like great vinyl...

4 hours ago, richieb said:

- Wyred4Sound STP-SE / fully balanced, resistor relay

- Nelson Pass First Watt B1

I have been thinking about try a fully resistor relay passive pre.... how is the wyred?

That pass b1 is an analog crossover control is it not?