Preamp Owners....What Are You Using?

Youthman

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Youthman said:

I assumed it was a typical prepro.  Looks like I would need to buy XLR to 1/4” adapters for my amp but The one thing that might be an issue is I’m not seeing any analog inputs.  They only input I have hooked up currently it’s from the Apple airport express and it only has a 3.5 mm analog output so I would need standard RCA analog inputs on the XDA-1.  I see two inputs called CO1 and CO2 but am not sure what those are.  I’m guessing they are Digital Coax.  So the XDA-1 might not work for my application.

@dtel, The seller said I could use a Toslink Adapter to be able to connect my Apple Airport Express to the XDA-1.  I didn't know they made such a thing.  Learn something new EVERY DAY!  I think I may buy it.  Seems like a zero risk investment if I don't like it.

61oyWAGm4uL._SL1000_.jpg

Since I am a PROUD Canuck, I use a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 for my preamp.SF_1.thumb.jpg.6d6f50eecd47ae5892eac3bd5e6488e8.jpg

Back in the day, I previously owned a Line 2, which I always regretted selling.

So when I came across a listing for this preamp being sold by the Parts Connexion (former owner of Sonic Frontiers) while

I was just completing my "Jub-Like" build, I figured it would make for a great front end of the soon to be active set up.

Pre_System.thumb.jpg.9321e5e7eab4cc9e6ec28cc07044d96d.jpg

The SF Line1 feeds the Xilica 4080, then to my Classe CA-150 and Triode Labs 2A3 amps to speakers.

I primarily play my Mac music server to my Musical Paradise MP-D2 tubed DAC then to the Line 1, all via XLR.

Thanks to ChrisA and his help "TUNING"... sounds F!#n$ GREAT!

Pre_Group.thumb.jpg.1572bdf386993ee72d8c4f8ff0416705.jpg

• Like 5

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Youthman said:

The seller said I could use a Toslink Adapter to be able to connect my Apple Airport Express to the XDA-1.  I didn't know they made such a thing.

That's the first one I have ever seen, I have used an optical splitter before and it worked great.

For $132 shipped I would buy it, to me I liked the sound quality and it has a remote which few DAC's have I believe.  I really liked it and will probably use it somewhere, just not sure yet.

11 hours ago, moray james said:

For $1200, I'd prefer something better than a (cr)Apple  (that's crapple) remote. Unless you like taking it apart a lot to unstick the most used buttons.  ;)

Is that what you personally use?

3 hours ago, avguytx said:

For $1200, I'd prefer something better than a (cr)Apple  (that's crapple) remote. Unless you like taking it apart a lot to unstick the most used buttons.  ;)

Is that what you personally use?

yes for a year now no problems sounds flawless, have used some nice passives with top tier Vishay foil resistors nothing I used comes close to this. combined with the Benchmark AHB2 it is simply stunning. This is a real standard for all else to compare to.

15 hours ago, Youthman said:

@dtel, The seller said I could use a Toslink Adapter to be able to connect my Apple Airport Express to the XDA-1.  I didn't know they made such a thing.  Learn something new EVERY DAY!  I think I may buy it.  Seems like a zero risk investment if I don't like it.

61oyWAGm4uL._SL1000_.jpg

Yes you can.  I use one of these with my Chromecast Audio connected to my Cambridge Audio 840C player/DAC.  Bought mine at Walmart for $12.00 I think but may be a GE brand.

Bill

Schiit SYS is my pre-amp.  It's a passive pre-amp with two inputs and a volume knob.  I use it to switch between a turntable and a DAC.  The DAC receives its data via an Airport Express with a toslink-digital cable like you guys are talking about above.  volume is controlled in the digital-domain from my MAC.  It's a very minimalist setup.

16 hours ago, Youthman said:

61oyWAGm4uL._SL1000_.jpg

Youth are you currently using the headphone jack to feed an analog input on the HK?

• Moderators
6 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Youth are you currently using the headphone jack to feed an analog input on the HK?

Yes.  The Airport Express has a 3.5mm output connected to the CD input of the HK with a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Man you will love it when you use the digital connection thru a dac. Far superior in every way

Yeah, I think I'm going to give the Emotiva XDA-1 a try.  I ordered the digital cable last night.

On 9/30/2017 at 2:15 PM, Youthman said:

How do you like the XDA-1?  I found a seller that has one for $132 shipped.  What say ye?

its not bad but if you compared to the dc 1 it has a much richer sound but  i am waiting for the xda 3 to come out

• Moderators
Just now, REN said:

its not bad but if you compared to the dc 1 it has a much richer sound but  i am waiting for the xda 3 to come out

"it's not bad" doesn't sound too impressive.  LOL  If it's not going to be an improvement over what I have now, it's pointless buying it.