Preamp Owners....What Are You Using?

Youthman

I was all set to buy one of these oppo DAC's and then I stumbled onto this somewhat negative review:

Oppo Sonica DAC review

Impressive features, but price and lacklustre performance disappoint

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/oppo/sonica-dac/review#oI5GyQ8sVYVY8VfB.99

Anyway, found a great deal on a Benchmark DAC2 that should arrive next week, had the HDR a few years ago and always wanted to try the newer version. 

11 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I was all set to buy one of these oppo DAC's and then I stumbled onto this somewhat negative review:

Oppo Sonica DAC review

Impressive features, but price and lacklustre performance disappoint

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/oppo/sonica-dac/review#oI5GyQ8sVYVY8VfB.99

Anyway, found a great deal on a Benchmark DAC2 that should arrive next week, had the HDR a few years ago and always wanted to try the newer version. 

Benchmark is top notch for sure. I saw the whathifi review as well but did quite a bit more research. I wasn't going to let one middle of the road review be the deciding factor. Oppo probably didn't pay them enough lol (jk). But seriously, I actually have one installed in my system and it is fantastic but that's about as in-depth of a review as I will give.

• 2 weeks later...

When I ordered my headphone amp (Schiit Asgard 2) I also ordered a Schiit Modi Multi DAC.  I use it more in between my PC and my NAD integrated that powers my Forte II.  USB connection from PC to the DAC works well.

I can't explain why technically, but the Modi Multibit sounds really good to me.

4 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Well after striking out with the Benchmark DAC2 not being able to play my music files through the optical input I just ordered one of these Oppo Sonica DAC's refurbished through Oppo with remote for $650 shipped. 

https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZSDAC3

Man I really think  going to love it and its just so easy to use. Great price too.

11 hours ago, sunnysal said:

That was a JFLessard preamp?

Yes it was the first one ... this is actually the picture he sent me when he was burning it in .

Mine has a volume pot , the second one he built had a step attenuator I do believe ...he did that one for chris if memory serves

Down in the garage sale section I've got some brand new magnaquest iron 4sale and 2 walnut amp chassis to match this one , was going to build JFL 300B SET but never got around to getting at it ... life gets busy ...

Dale

Their is some talk on the Oppo.  It is a decent BDP but, not a notch above the rest.  I got the Oppo 203 and it is my second plyer next to the Samsung BD 7500.  The Oppo 203 is not a better player and lacks streaming for a consideration.  Once again I own the 203.  There are other BDP on the market for less money and just as good!

derrickdj1 do you use the 203 as a preamp?  I tried using my 103 as a preamp but felt my Denon 4800 sounded better as a preamp. 

Over the next year I am looking for a new preamp so the info I get from here will help me pick one.   

This is my first Oppo purchase, have read quite a few good things about the BDP's over the years. Right now I just have a single bedroom system that I share with the wife so it needs to be simple and as small as possible to save space and the Oppo looks like it will fit nicely right on top of one of my RF-5's. I'm going to compare it head to head to my Sunfire TG-III, hopefully its a decent improvement but will likely keep it even its more of a lateral move sound quality wise because of its size and more up to date features. It would be nice to be able to control it / play things right from my phone. 

• 1 month later...

Just purchased a Conrad Johnson PV10B. So far I really like the phono stage, seems to match up well with the Ortofon Blue 2M cartridge I use. The CJ is just about as old school as one can get. On/Off button, Input select knob, and Volume knob. 

2AF04D13-49CD-4327-B961-4698328A0DB5.jpeg.99127f7dcccb565bfdf706695a19ec7e.jpeg

Mark

• Like 1

The Quicksilver.... a classic.  The C48   a modern classic. And the PV 10 is the reason I bought my Classic...  I'm driving a pair of Quicksilver Mid Mono amps into a pair of Heresy III and it's a great combo.  I've had the Heresys about two weeks and I am really loving them.