Elon's "BFR"

Mallette

I've been touting Musk to be considered the Father of Space and the greatest mind of the 21rst century for several years.  He hasn't been proven wrong yet.  He's landing his boosters with pinpoint accuracy on a regular basis and will be transporting crews via the Dragon multi-purpose ship next year.  Dragon is capable of landing under power as well, but not sure when that will be implemented.  Point is he is WAY ahead of NASA or anyone else.  Now comes the "BFR," apply named being larger than Saturn V and capable of carrying a hundred passengers to Shanghai in 39 minutes...or to Mars.  He says it will be flying in 10 years.  I believe him...because he hasn't been wrong yet.   As he says that the thing will be about the same price to ride as a full fare economy ticket, I may live to ride a rocket.  Stay tuned...

Dave

SpaceX ITS spaceship docking with International Space Station.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Mallette said:

I've been touting Musk to be considered the Father of Space and the greatest mind of the 21rst century for several years.  He hasn't been proven wrong yet. 

Uh, no to being "the greatest mind of the 21st century."  Yes to being proven completely wrong.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Uh, no to being "the greatest mind of the 21st century."  Yes to being proven completely wrong.

He was right about PayPal and nobody noticed.  Predictions were that Tesla would fail, and that hasn't happened.  SpaceX was supposed to fail years ago and is now by far the most advanced space technology on the planet, bar none (known).  The Hyperloop wasn't funded, so you only have the word of the skeptics who made the above predictions for it.  Rest my case.  
He has a LOT of ideas not tested...but none are as important to him as personally visiting Mars...and Hyperloop and the others he isn't pursuing are distractions unless someone wants to fund them.  

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mallette said:

The Hyperloop wasn't funded, so you only have the word of the skeptics who made the above predictions for it.  Rest my case.  

I don't understand, what do you mean it wasn't funded?  Do you mean it wasn't built?  A $12 million test track was built and it failed.  Did you watch the video?

It is and will be a colossal failure, it is 100% Musk's idea.  It isn't feasible.  It has nothing to do with skepticism, it's a fundamentally flawed idea that will never work.  The best test car out of 1200 idea could only reach 50 mph, not even close to the 700 mph claimed.  None of the other cars could even make it to the end of the test tube not even a mile long.  

What proof do you need?  This Musk idea is a total failure, it fails science.  Have you ever seen what happens when a vacuum tube fails? 

• Like 1

Why argue about this. The guy is undoubtedly a great mind with enough proof positive to scratch your head thinking " well maybe he's on to something"? Somewhat of a visionary I suppose with the mind and persuasiveness to see projects to an end. Isn't it good we have people and minds like this? I wonder how many jobs he has created? I'd take one of him to ten app developers to add yet another worthless gimmick to a phone. 

15 hours ago, wvu80 said:

It is and will be a colossal failure, it is 100% Musk's idea.  It isn't feasible.

No idea where you get your information.  Google for the past year and found a variety of info...none saying with any scientific backing that it was anything like a failure.  Wiki is reasonably objective.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperloop But there are a LOT more citations.  I am not getting into a debate about Musk's genius.  It's well enough demonstrated not to need me.  Besides, the Hyperloop (other than on Mars, where no tube would be needed in the thin atmosphere) is a red herring.  You want to argue that his BFR will be a total failure, go to it.  As for me, I shall wait and watch this guy reshape the future.  He has refocused the world on all electric cars by tripling the efficiency (they said it couldn't be done), implementing the most advanced autonomous tech (also wasn't going to happen for 20 years), and has developed rocket technology that no one else has.  If I had money, it would be on him.

Dave

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

If that's a serious issue, maybe they can use magnetism to float the car

Wouldn't help.  It's the air resistance that is the issue.  As to whether it is a serious issue, that remains to be seen.  Failure of spacecraft or submarine hulls are equally disastrous...but we've overcome that.  

Dave

17 hours ago, Steve_S said:

I'm a fan

Started watching him with Tesla.  I'd really love to be a 20 year old engineering major right now.  I'd start out sweeping floors to work for this giant.  That video of a rocket touching done on Earth is something I would have bet 15 years ago I'd never live to see...but there it is, thanks to the "Iron Man."  

Dave

• 2 weeks later...