Is it ok to pair RP-240s with Emotiva Xpa5?.

Elrief1

I want to purchase two Rp-240s for surrounds,but im a bit worried that my Emotiva Xpa5 @ 200 watts per channel maybe two much power. Can someone give me some advice, will this setup be ok?..

Edited by Elrief1
forgot something

• Moderators

I was running RF-83, RC-64 and RS-52 with a Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5) and they 52's had no problem with the extra power.  I believe it's worse to have too little power because at high volume, your receiver runs out of gas and introduces distortion which can really damage speakers.

Elrief1,

Welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, Elrief1 said:

I want to purchase two Rp-240s for surrounds,but im a bit worried that my Emotiva Xpa5 @ 200 watts per channel maybe two much power. Can someone give me some advice, will this setup be ok?..

Your XPA-5 will be fine with your RP-240s speakers as long as you are not stupid crazy with the volume knob.

1 hour ago, Elrief1 said:

Ok, I was a bit worried that i might over power them with true 200watts. Thanks for the prompt reply.

I doubt your speakers will ever see anything close to 200w continuous and for that matter even peaks close to that much.

Let your XPA feed them but on the other hand know when to back off.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

I have used my Acurus A200 (200 x 2) to power even small speakers.

53 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I was running RF-83, RC-64 and RS-52 with a Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5) and they 52's had no problem with the extra power. 

I have been feeding my HT system, including RS-35 surrounds, with 200w/ch Acurus amps for the better part of 6 years with never a hint of over driving them.

Bill