NFL 2017

Jeff Matthews

11 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

From the looks of things it's a good time to be a Raider fan.

I need to make at least one more game in Oakland before the move. I was born 9 miles from the coliseum, can’t count how many times i’ve driven past it whilst traveling between Oakland and Hayward. Getting off at the coliseum BART station on game day is quite a sight. Everyone wearing Raider colors and walking across the walkway over the freeway to get into the coliseum, fences with barbed wire and then getting to that battleship grey building, where even the ladies are tattooed up and look mean ... a wonderful experience. I’ve NEVER had a single problem; but, last game i went to, a monday night game against Denver, the following day’s newspaper said four cops got beat up and 38 people were arrested ... all in the parking lot. I walked that entire parking lot pre-game, people tailgating and having a good time. Missed the fighting.

Did see the largest human being that i’ve ever seen. I told my brother, “If anything goes down, I’m on his side --whichever side that is."

I’m always proudly wearing Raider gear when i’m there, so I fit right in. But, i do know that, getting on that train, after a loss, with a bunch of angry, drunk fans isn’t the most comforting experience ... sometimes nobody is safe. 

4 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I thought I was the only one who did that.  I can't stand the woman commentator and it offends me they are shoving that down our throat.

I listen music while the TV is on mute.  And if there is another game on with no female commentators, I switch to that.

I didn't know Romo retired.  I thought he was still with the team as the backup.  What's the story with what he is doing now?

Romo replaced Phil Simms, there was some controversy in how they told Simms.....they forgot to!

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

I’m always proudly wearing Raider gear when i’m there, so I fit right in. But, i do know that, getting on that train, after a loss, with a bunch of angry, drunk fans isn’t the most comforting experience ... sometimes nobody is safe.

I was born and raised in Oakland, and lived there for many decades.  I miss it (and San Francisco/Berkeley), but when I left it was becoming "a nice place to visit."   I understand the crime rate is going down, now.  Of course.

I remember when there were take-offs on the Oakland Raiders bumper stickers.  One, bespeaking the Bay Area's leftist tradition, read "Oakland Radical."  The other, when the Raiders moved to LA, read "Oakland Traitors."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, garyrc said:

I was born and raised in Oakland, and lived there for many decades.  I miss it (and San Francisco/Berkeley), but when I left it was becoming "a nice place to visit."   I understand the crime rate is going down, now.  Of course.

I remember when there were take-offs on the Oakland Raiders bumper stickers.  One, bespeaking the Bay Area's leftist tradition, read "Oakland Radical."  The other, when the Raiders moved to LA, read "Oakland Traitors."

That’s cool Gary. I’m from your side of the bay; but, San Francisco remains my favorite city of all that i’ve been to.  Travis, @dwilawyer has lived in the Bay Area as well.  I recently asked him if he remembered the old Doggie Diners.  Do you?  They are one of my childhood memories as there was one next to the post office that my Dad worked at. My family is from the Jingletown section of Oakland (Fruitvale area); but, moved to Hayward. I had an Aunt that lived to 101 and lived 80 years in Jingletown. Coming to the US from the Azore Islands when she was a child, grew up and lived the rest of her life in the same neighborhood. Even when gangs and crime got ridiculously high, they never bothered her. 

Actually Jingletown is getting safer and the two areas of Hayward that i lived in are getting  worse. I left there on my ninth birthday, after my parents both died within five months of each other. Moved back for a year in my early 20s; but, wanted to go back to Los Angeles. Although I’ve lived most of my life in Los Angeles, I still consider the Bay Area home and get a good feeling inside whenever i go back to visit. Which isn’t often anymore as I have only one relative left living there. All the rest have either died or moved away.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, garyrc said:

Several years ago, HBO did a documentary about the 70s Raiders and A’s. It was called “The Rebels of Oakland.”  Very interesting piece. This one biker, not sure if he was a hell’s angel or not, as the hell’s angels had their headquarters in Oakland; but, this guy is saying that, “we’d sit in the parking lot before a game and drink a bottle of whiskey...when the bottle was empty, you’d throw it at someone."

I remember in the mid-60s, i was about seven years old and a countless line of bikers came down our street. I was standing on the curb waving at them--they were waving back at me, when some lady ran out of her house, grabbed me and took me inside her house until the bikers had passed. I guess she thought that one of them would swoop over and grab me. 

I can also remember going to Oakland A’s game back when they had “Bat Day.” Each attendee got a green A’s baseball bat. You couldn’t do that these days -- it would be akin to handing out weapons at the gate. Also remember going to the Knowland Park Zoo. 

Last time i was there, they had really built up Jack London Square. 

I’m glad I’m from there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

That’s cool Gary. I’m from your side of the bay; but, San Francisco remains my favorite city of all that i’ve been to.  Travis, @dwilawyer has lived in the Bay Area as well.  I recently asked him if he remembered the old Doggie Diners.  Do you?

San Francisco is marvelous, and beautiful.  It had the questionable honor of being Nikita Khrushchev's favorite American city, too..  He improvised a little song about it, "San Francisco is a very beautiful city, but Moscow is best of all."  At least that's better than him bending over, rear toward the camera, and flipping his coattails up in disapproving imitation of the dancers he saw filming Can-Can in LA.  

I grew up eating at Doggie Diner.  Also Quick-way, Taco Bell, Hambrick's Quarter Pound, etc.  I loved the Bay Area theaters, especially the 70mm houses with their fantastic 6 channel stereo.  The movie studios used to collect audience reactions in (true) Sneak Previews in Oakland on the grounds that it was a typical American city, and in San Francisco because it was a sophisticated American city.  The Knowland Park Zoo you visited was named after the Knowland family.  One of them was William F. Knowland, publisher of the Oakland Tribune who was known as the city boss (dictator) of Oakland.  The star of the zoo was the multi-talented Effie the Elephant.

I lived in an apartment on Fruitvale for a little while, right across from Diamond Park.  There was a biker with bright red hair who used to hang out there, "waiting to be arrested," named Snappy Tom.  Treking up Diamond creek was a nice, mild urban hike.  To think that the whole park used to be the front yard of a rich guy named Hugh Diamond!   I lived longest in the Laurel District, a few blocks above MacArthur, on High Street, later on Madrone. 

My Aunt lived until 103.  She stayed with our family in Oakland frequently.  Two of my best friends' people came from the Azores.  They claimed the Islands were the tips of mountains that belonged to the lost continent of Atlantis.  My neighborhood lady story is that when the helicopters that had dropped CS gas on Berkeley came all the way into our Oakland neighborhood (a long way) the poor lady was watering her yard.  When the 'copters circled over her house she dropped her hose and ran like hell!  I wonder how she would have handled the angels.

Klipschorns (and the rest of the line) were sold at Pro-Audio in Oakland, and also at Berkeley Custom Electronics.  PWK visited them both.  I worked at Optica b/c (telescopes and microscopes) in Oakland, for a while.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

But you said that if there is any game on with a female commentator you change the channel.

I like female commentators for tennis, ice skating, skiing, soccer, women's basketball and Olympic sports.  I like women sideline reporters in football.  I like some women on ESPN's Sportscenter.  I prefer female vocalists.

I do not like women football commentators or analysts and I feel like they are being shoved down our throat because the network wants to be PC.  Pro football is a man's sport.  I like hearing men talking about men's sports.

The woman with the sing-song talking style is the worst of the bunch.  I can't stand the voice or the style of talking.  I like listening to men talking about a man's sport.  

I do change the channel and will continue to do so.  It annoys me and I don't have to listen to it.

7 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I do not like women football commentators or analysts and I feel like they are being shoved down our throat because the network wants to be PC.  Pro football is a man's sport.  I like hearing men talking about men's sports

The times they are a changin.  Maybe the ladies are just good at what they do.  With broadcast corporations watching ratings you'd think they're giving the watching public what they want.  If ratings drop with certain commentators, they'll change them regardless of gender.  The nice thing is that you can vote with your remote which is what you're doing.

9 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Andrew Luck was practicing with the Colts yesterday. He didn't have shoulder pads on, but was throwing. Hopefully he'll be back soon, he's an exciting player to watch.

He was such a talent and I feel they've just wasted him there.

47 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

With broadcast corporations watching ratings you'd think they're giving the watching public what they want. 

How many women's pro basketball games have you watched on ESPN?  How many women's pro teams can you name?  How many pro women basketball players can you name? 

We can't really discuss this issue in any depth because it would require delving into politics, something I prefer not to do.

+++

I just saw the comments Cam Newton made to a female reporter who asked him a question about route running.  Mike and Mike, and every other commentator on the sports analyst shows are freaking out.

Yawn.

Just now, wvu80 said:

How many women's pro basketball games have you watched on ESPN?  How many women's pro teams can you name?  How many pro women basketball players can you name?

None.

None

None.

I don't understand your point.  I'm not the public at large rather one person.

40 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

We can't really discuss this issue in any depth because it would require delving into politics, something I prefer not to do.

+++

I just saw the comments Cam Newton made to a female reporter who asked him a question about route running.  Mike and Mike, and every other commentator on the sports analyst shows are freaking out.

Yawn.

WVU - Really? Where have you been? The "public" freaks out about anything and everything that "blows up" on the social media sites.

Particularly race, gender, politics, law enforcement, etc., etc., etc,. The way of the world brother, the way of the world. And I proudly say a social media world I have nothing to do with, no accounts, nothing. 'Cept here which is a very lite version of the cess pool that is social media aa

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

didn't know Romo retired.  I thought he was still with the team as the backup.  What's the story with what he is doing now?

• HE got a sore throat and is expected to be out for four to six weeks, counting rehab in a college game broadcast.
  • And ITS BASEBALL SEASON!!!

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

He was such a talent and I feel they've just wasted him there.

i agree. It is interesting how Indy went from a yearly playoff contender to bottom dwellers with a coaching and GM change.

It was the perfect storm to have to let Peyton go to get what we all thought may be the next coming of one of the best QB.

We now have a decent GM but Pagano has to go and should have already been gone but he has a sentimental relationship with the city as we stood behind him while he battled his cancer.

Bruce Arians is the best coach we have had since Dungy, his talents were realized while he took the helm in Indy during Pagono"s temporary absence. But we let him slip away.