NFL 2017

Jeff Matthews

1 hour ago, JBCODD said:
  • HE got a sore throat and is expected to be out for four to six weeks, counting rehab in a college game broadcast.
  • And ITS BASEBALL SEASON!!!

I was not at all a fan of Romo on the field, but I think he is doing a good job in the booth and I don't miss the cranky Simms at all.

Speaking of sports commentators, I cannot listen to Dick Vitale.  If he's calling a game I want to watch, I mute the audio.

So, if I follow the logic of recent posts, I must not like male basketball announcers.  Or, could it be I don't like Dick Vitale, who happens to be male.  I would much prefer a knowledgeable female announcer to Dick Vitale, or to Joe Buck, for that matter.

2 hours ago, JBCODD said:
  • HE got a sore throat and is expected to be out for four to six weeks, counting rehab in a college game broadcast.
  • And ITS BASEBALL SEASON!!!

I heard he was going to be phenomenal, at least until the play offs start, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Speaking of sports commentators, I cannot listen to Dick Vitale.  If he's calling a game I want to watch, I mute the audio.

I'm along the same lines as you Neil.  cannot stand Vitale.  I think the main reason he was brought in was to be an antagonist like Howard Cosell was back in the early days.  yes, Vitale was once a coach somewhere so he has more background & insight than I, but still, cannot stand him.  would rather have fingernails on a chalkboard.  well, almost.

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

So, if I follow the logic of recent posts, I must not like male basketball announcers.  Or, could it be I don't like Dick Vitale, who happens to be male.  I would much prefer a knowledgeable female announcer to Dick Vitale, or to Joe Buck, for that matter.

You didn't like the 12 million times he used the term "diaper dandy baby" :D

He does get annoying.

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

None.

None

None.

I don't understand your point.  I'm not the public at large rather one person.

This is what you said.

With broadcast corporations watching ratings you'd think they're giving the watching public what they want. 

My point is the broadcast corporation do NOT give the watching public what they want.  They push a political agenda.  Nobody watches pro women's sports according to the ratings.

For me to say I don't like a woman broadcaster being forced on me by the networks is consistent with my contention they are pushing a political agenda.  I think I speak for a lot of people in saying I do NOT like it, I do NOT want it and I will NOT watch it.

Neither a pro/con comment but if I'm not mistaken the first Monday night game with the Broncos, a  double header, was announced by a female announcer with a male counterpart. I believe she does the radio side for the Broncos for a long time. 

And now for all the pro Romo comments when I first tuned in and heard an announcer toward the end of the game I commented to my wife " I don't know who he is but but I don't like him, very annoying". Kinda like anything else in life - somes you like, somes you don't. Doesn't make either right or wrong, good or bad. 

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

My point is the broadcast corporation do NOT give the watching public what they want. 

And my point is that they're driven primarily by money.  If they make a change they look at what that change does to ratings.  Ratings equal advertising revenue.  If they do something and ratings go up, they continue it.  If they do something and ratings drop, they stop.  If female commentators trigger a drop in viewership then they'll stop putting them on the air.  To do something contrary to that really doesn't make much sense, to me anyways.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

And my point is that they're driven primarily by money.  If they make a change they look at what that change does to ratings.  Ratings equal advertising revenue.  If they do something and ratings go up, they continue it.  If they do something and ratings drop, they stop.  If female commentators trigger a drop in viewership then they'll stop putting them on the air.  To do something contrary to that really doesn't make much sense, to me anyways.

Exactly.  Believe it or not, some guys dig a hot chick who at least pretends to get into football.  Believe it or not, when chicks see dudes digging chicks who are into football, it might increase chick viewing/attendance.  The NFL doesn't care whether you want to be macho.  If the number of dudes who drop out when the game goes co-ed is less than the number of dudes and chicks who are drawn to the co-ed change, they win, and you lose.  Maybe you're right, and they are wrong. Maybe it'll hurt the entire league.  However, their motivation is money and not your machismo.  You can't blame them for seeking more money.

3 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

However, their motivation is money and not your machismo.  You can't blame them for seeking more money.

If money and ratings is king (queen?) then why is the WNBA still on TV?  It looks to me like the networks will keep unpopular female sports on TV so they can claim "equality."  

It doesn't matter if viewers do or do not like women commentators for football, I don't think the networks care.  They absolutely know the public will have no other choice when they control the medium.

Following the 2015 season, Sports Business Daily reported the WNBA posted a league-wide average attendance of 7,318, the lowest in its 19-year existence. 

https://www.sbnation.com/a/wnba-preview-2017/strong-2016

Borders is essentially looking for more fans like herself as the W.N.B.A. heads into its 20th season in May. Average attendance peaked well above predictions at 10,864 in the league’s second season, but it fell last season to 7,318 a game, a record low. Viewership on ESPN and ESPN2 tumbled 15 percent last season and declined 21 percent during the finals, which were on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/sports/basketball/wnba-picks-lisa-m-borders-as-its-new-president.html?_r=0

13 hours ago, Davis said:

I was not at all a fan of Romo on the field, but I think he is doing a good job in the booth and I don't miss the cranky Simms at all.

I have not heard Romo broadcast yet, but some of my co-workers report he is a marked improvement over Simms.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

How much do the announcers play in whether someone tunes into a game or not?

Does anybody remember that game in 80s where they had NO announcers and got higher ratings?