NFL 2017

Jeff Matthews

5 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

How much do the announcers play in whether someone tunes into a game or not?

Does anybody remember that game in 80s where they had NO announcers and got higher ratings?

I accidentally disconnected my center channel one time.

I had no announcers but the game and crowd sounds filled the L and R and surround channels, It wasn't a bad experience.

Before satellite delay  I would turn down the TV and listen to my local radio play by play.

The TV sounds of the graphics flying in and out of the screen are very annoying.

In the booth Romo is very good at calling the play before it is ran.

Of course he has a lot of practice watching football from the sidelines and listening to calls being made.

He knows the game, he just could not play the game.

7 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

How much do the announcers play in whether someone tunes into a game or not?

Does anybody remember that game in 80s where they had NO announcers and got higher ratings?

The better question would be how much do the announces play whether someone tunes OUT or not?  I know of other announcers where people mute the sound because they don't like the sound of their voice.  We are not given a choice of what announcers we get.  For me if something is annoying or offensive I will not watch it.  The prohibition of talking politics prevents me from going further than that in this line of discussion.

And yes, I remember the game when there were no announcers.  I didn't know they got higher ratings.  I didn't care for it, but it was interesting.

I don't remember that.  One season?

It was one game.  I want to say the Jets vs someone, but it was decades ago and I don't really remember.  There was an open mic so you heard a lot of the crowd mummering most of the time, some cheering on big plays, and the stadium announcer.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/news/story?id=5906858

The Colts placed a statue of Peyton Manning outside of Lucas Stadium Saturday. There were quite a few speeches made, some were pretty funny. Jeff Saturday (Manning's center) said his butt should've been in the statue also.

David Letterman said he has been in this city for 40 years, where's my statue :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Got a good one going on down in Texas on SNF.  KC winning by 6, 26-20  11 minutes left in the fourth.

Looks like JJ will be out for a while with a broken leg.  How frustrating for him with all that he's been through injury wise.

Green Bay was down 21-6 and came back to win in Dallas.  Great game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davis said:

When Letterman threw out a little football trivia, that Eli and Peyton had the same amount of wins this season was awesome. Then he said sorry I was told it was a roast.

Dave still has his wit, no sure about the beard though.

53 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Looks like JJ will be out for a while with a broken leg.  How frustrating for him with all that he's been through injury wise.

Green Bay was down 21-6 and came back to win in Dallas.  Great game.

It will be hard to replace Watt.

31 minutes ago, Davis said:

Packers v Cowboys was a good game to watch.

Rogers makes it look easy sometimes, never count him out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davis said:

When Letterman threw out a little football trivia, that Eli and Peyton had the same amount of wins this season was awesome. Then he said sorry I was told it was a roast.

Yes, it was a great show, a lot of respect for Manning. He has accomplished quite a bit.