NFL 2017

Jeff Matthews

The NFL needs to fix (eliminate) that "when a touchdown is not a touchdown" rule. Although I'm a Patriots fan, the Steelers were robbed of a touchdown on the Jesse James catch.

A runner simply has to break the plane of the goal line, then whatever happens afterwards matters not. 

A more consistent policy will help.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I see that Pittsburgh people are unhappy about the NFL ruling on what is a catch.

Fantastic game!  Steelers fan here.  Both Brady and Big Ben had championship, legendary drives in the last minute.  Since the Pats won, it was Brady's FIFTY-FIRST game winning drive in the 4th quarter or overtime.  GOAT!

I watched the game and yes, the call on instant replay from that last catch (or non-catch) that took away an apparent game winning TD for the Steelers was really, really picky.

4 hours ago, JJkizak said:

I think it would take me about an hour to write down a list of all the parameters that are considered when ruling if a catch is a catch.

JJK

And assuming you could write them down the way the NFL puts it out, I doubt I have the capacity to understand them.

I could solve this whole thing very easily.  Instant replay gets 30 seconds to review a play.  All replays are in real time, not slow motion.  Unless it's an obvious blunder by the on-field crew, the call on the field stands.

Then on with the show.

the law of physics doesn’t apply to the NFL apparently. 

how can a receiver “get" the ball out of the air, turn his body, fully extend his arms -- without the ball moving and yet not have possession?

I take the blame. If there is anybody that the NFL hates more than the Raiders it’s me; and i was rooting for Pittsburgh. That said, they shouldn’t have been so stupid on the last play. 

apparently, the forum censors give more credence to slang words despite the fact that they were first legitimate words, thus my use of the word “get” instead of the one that you’d only see as asterisks.

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

and i was rooting for Pittsburgh. That said, they shouldn’t have been so stupid on the last play. 

Just this evening I saw an interview where Big Ben commented that the decision to go for the win came from the bench.  Ben wanted to  kick the field goal to tie the game then play for overtime.

12 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Just this evening I saw an interview where Big Ben commented that the decision to go for the win came from the bench.  Ben wanted to  kick the field goal to tie the game then play for overtime.

Then all he had to do was throw the ball into the stands when he saw that his receiver was triple covered.  It was a stupid throw.  If a coach calls a play and it's not there then he needs to throw the ball away.

12 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Then all he had to do was throw the ball into the stands when he saw that his receiver was triple covered.  It was a stupid throw.  If a coach calls a play and it's not there then he needs to throw the ball away.

There is a fine line between "stupid" and "fantastic". In the Browns case it is "stupid".

JJK

• 4 weeks later...

The saints now have their version of the immaculate reception.  For the raiders, Madden said to just bat the ball down, but Tatum had to deliver the hit, as was his nature.  The saints just had to tackle the receiver in bounds, game over.  Instead he goes in for a hit not even looking, missed the receiver completely, and loses the game.  I think the saints play was even more unforgivable than Tate, at least Tatum delivered a hit.  The saints lost it flat out, just as the falcons collapsed in the most spectacular way last February.

• Like 1