New “Reference” vs Reference II?

yepimonfire

I’m debating replacing my surround speakers, which are currently R-15ms with Reference II series speakers. The R-15ms just don’t do the premieres in the front justice and stick out as sounding lower quality. I have RB-10s mounted to the ceiling as atmos speakers, and they seem to match timbre fairly well, so I’d guess something like RB-51 II would match well enough to the front premier.

I would add a second pair of premiers to the surrounds, but I can’t justify the cost. Would it be worth replacing them with II series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

My personal opinion is the new “reference“ aren’t really reference at all.    They seem to me to be the old synergy series just rebadged with different color woofers.   Honestly you can go with any surrounds, they do not have to be reference Premiere.   

• Like 1

Are u refering to the reference premier line.... as in the rp280f OR rp-160m?  If so I certainly don't find them to be the same as the old synergy, woofers are shaped different and look different tweeters are also different....  if what you're saying is true that you certainly let the wind out of my sails.....

13 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Are u refering to the reference premier line.... as in the rp280f OR rp-160m?  If so I certainly don't find them to be the same as the old synergy, woofers are shaped different and look different tweeters are also different....  if what you're saying is true that you certainly let the wind out of my sails.....

Reference Premier is comparable to the Reference II/Old Reference line.

Reference is comparable to mainline Icon, and Synergy. (In fact, identical for the most part to old Icon).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Reference as in the ones they carry at Best Buy with the exception of course of the reference Premiere that they now also carry?

Best Buy does not carry the RP line - they have them on their website as a network sale solution.  You won't find RP series in a Best Buy store.

They do carry it now at the Best Buy where I'm at  in Melbourne Florida, they currently have a 5.1 setup with their rp280f the 440c an Erp 160s for the rear as well as the RS w115, the guy working in Magnolia was under the same impression though he thought they were only going to get in the wireless version of the rps, so we were both surprised to see them in the Magnolia area...

I'm completely with you just saying I didn't expect to see them at all there especially in the Magnolia area so I was definitely shocked however I'm only trying to get in on this because I wanted to make sure I didn't waste my money on my two 80s thinking they were A Cut Above them maybe they weren't but I see what you're saying they're definitely not the reference line at Best Buy not sure what angle youth was coming from his post

• Like 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

I’m referring to the new “Reference” Series which is different from the “Reference Premiere”.  These sure look very similar to me.

2126E27C-3EA7-45F4-A2F8-263C9901542B.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

Gotu youth definitely agree on that, but have to say it and I'm glad they don't look like the rp line... lol

People confuse the hell out of them, and then get disappointed when they realize the difference and that the sound they get isn't quite what Klipsch is known for.

The icon replacement. They’re not exactly the same, the woofer is improved and sound significantly “tighter”, and they measure more accurately .

My question is whether or not RB 51’s would be better than R-15ms for surrounds when matched to a front stage consisting of Reference premiers. I know premiers all around would be better, but I can’t justify the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey fire sorry I didn't mean to get your throat off topic....  but my educated guess would be that the rb51s be better than a 15s, however I have not heard the RB 51s, but I do know that several on here like that series...  hopefully youth will chime in here again as he's owned about every Klipsch known to man except maybe the RP series lol....   if I'm not mistaken I believe he's using 50 ones for his rears.... but it may be the rs he's using...

By the way I'm in the same boat as you as I'm currently using tannoys as my rears, but would like to upgrade to the rp-160m or the RP 240 s, but like you cost justification is an issue for me as well....   let us know what you decide and how whatever you get sounds....

• Moderators
2 hours ago, yepimonfire said:

My question is whether or not RB 51’s would be better than R-15ms for surrounds when matched to a front stage consisting of Reference premiers.

I have not heard many of the "Reference" speakers like the R-15 but I have heard the RB-41 II, RB-51 and RB-61 and they sound great.

2 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

hopefully youth will chime in here again as he's owned about every Klipsch known to man except maybe the RP series lol....

LOL....I have owned a few Klipsch speakers over the years

speaker-list-07-03-17.jpg

3 minutes ago, xo705cf said:

if I'm not mistaken I believe he's using 50 ones for his rears.... but it may be the rs he's using...

I started out with RS-35 as side surrounds with RB-35 as surround back, then upgraded the RS-35 to RS-52, then I purchased a pair of RS-62 and sold the RS-52 and RB-35 and then upgraded to a pair of RS-62 II and sold the RS-62.