Heresy Industrial (Ported) Nashville

jmc15john

On 10/3/2017 at 8:22 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

The HIP's are running AA networks like a Khorn, thus have very thin bass, but are really LOUD.

By mounting my Super Heresys/Baby Cornwalls ports in the REAR, and pulling down the Mid and Tweeter by about 6 db (using a Cornwall B network), I got bass to 30 Hz. in my bedroom system in Indy. This prompted Jim Jimbo to make me an offer I coudn't refuse for them at the time.

And they still sound fantastic. Everyone that I play them for is just amazed at how great they sound… Thanks again Claude! 

I hope you are not confusing industrial heresies with super heresies. A definite difference.  The super heresies you will need to create yourself from a pair of heresy ones, and add different components and modify the rear of the cabinet. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I hope you are not confusing industrial heresies with super heresies. A definite difference.  The super heresies you will need to create yourself from a pair of heresy ones, and add different components and modify the rear of the cabinet. 

Thanks. Both has me thinking. I would love to have the 'Super Heresy' but don't have the time to play...right now. I have had 4 pair of Heresy. Sold a pair, gave a pair away and still have some finished Decorators and HWO. The ones I gave away complimented well with the Cornwall. Not sure what I'll do with the 2 pair I have but they aren't getting used. I didn't know that the HIP were so much more sensitive. I have a pair of 15" EV Scoop that they might play nicely together.... not that I have time or need right now.  

On 10/4/2017 at 9:19 PM, jimjimbo said:

Keep in mind that JimJimbo's (the ones are pictured in the original thread) have Klipsch K-42 woofers, same as a HIP. I put in some B&C DE-120 tweeters but one could choose to keep K-77's in there (I preferred the extra "sparkle" at the time). So if one were to keep K-77's, they would still be PURE Klipsch, just with the Cornwall B network instead of the one from HIP.

In fact, I believe (without proof of measurement of simulation like my original thread, of course), that HIP owners could make HUGE improvements to that box by simply putting foam inside and modifying the HIP network into a Cornwall B with only about $10 worth of Dayton capacitors (the original ones probably need replacement anyhow)!!

• Like 2

I have a pair of '83 Heresies that I put steel stamped K-42's in and filled with polyfill I wanted to add the HIE networks to increase output of the driver's but you say the Cornwall B network may be a better choice.  They are not ported.  I also have a pair of the real deal HIP's with the EV version of the K-42's and HIE networks.

15 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

I have a pair of '83 Heresies that I put steel stamped K-42's in and filled with polyfill I wanted to add the HIE networks to increase output of the driver's but you say the Cornwall B network may be a better choice.  They are not ported.  I also have a pair of the real deal HIP's with the EV version of the K-42's and HIE networks.

The HIE networks are basically like AA networks on older Khorns and LaScalas (according to Bob Crites). They allow the mid and tweeter drivers to scream at full tilt while attempting to get 103 db of UPPER bass to catch up in the HIE (100 db/W driver with a port that's tuned for max. db. A sealed Heresy with a K-43 starts rolling off at about 150 Hz.while the slotted front "shelf port" in the HIE, similar to what was done in the Cornwall, picks up the natural bass rolloff of the low Qts K43 woofer by 2-3 db in an attempt to get more bass. It most certainly falls short in this area, but with a good subwoofer below 100 Hz. it certainly would work well as a system.

The reason I put the bass port in the REAR of my Super Heresy Mod (besides available space) is because the weaker output at the frequencies below 100 Hz. are REINFORCED by the back wall or corner when they are 12-18 inches out from the walls. The $20,000 Palladiums do the same thing. Also the main reason why the passive radiators of the Forte and Chorus, etc. are done that way with that spacing as the preferred placement. The rear radiators need room to "breathe."

• Like 1