Multi channel

Tony Whitlow

If you took a multi channel recording and assigned a speak for each channel, say one for bass, one for rhythm guitar, one for lead guitar, and a stereo pair for drums( needed because drums are more 3 dimensional) and lined them up on stage with the stereo pair for drums centered behind the three guitars would it sound like a band?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

I have no idea, it may ? I always thought one of the differences with live music was each instrument had it's own channel and not recorded together and not recorded.  But like all recordings I guess it would depend on the quality of the recording, just like how live music depends on the person mixing it, the studio or sound guy can make or break a recording or show.

Good question, but I have no clue.

What you're describing is basically how the Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound" system worked: each player's sound was reproduced by a separate set of speakers and amplifiers, with each player in control of their own volume. I never heard it (I'm not a Dead fan), but most reports say the system sounded superb for its time (they used it during the early-mid 1970s).

Check out the "Multiple Sound Sources" thread about 15 threads down here in the Lounge for more info.

What you're describing is basically how the Grateful Dead's "Wall of Sound" system worked: each player's sound was reproduced by a separate set of speakers and amplifiers, with each player in control of their own volume. I never heard it (I'm not a Dead fan), but most reports say the system sounded superb for its time (they used it during the early-mid 1970s).

Check out the "Multiple Sound Sources" thread about 15 threads down here in the Lounge for more info.

No, this would be a recording by the four musicians and played back on the five channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your proposition is still to reproduce the sound of each individual instrument through its own set of speakers and amplifier(s). It really doesn't matter if the source is a multi-track recording or a band playing live with each member individually mic'd, the reproduction mechanism would basically be a small-scale version of the Dead's Wall of Sound.

As dtel said, with a recording as the source a lot would depend on its quality, including the production methods used. Recording each instrument independently would yield better playback separation and control. However, this could affect the musical results because the musicians wouldn't be interacting as they recorded. Recording a live (in-studio) performance would probably yield better musical energy and interplay, but acoustic separation would suffer, so instruments would bleed into other instruments' recording channels, and into their reproducing systems.