The Pet Corner

morbella

20 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

IMG_0057.jpg

My stepson had a beautiful Rot with a temperament not unlike our Golden. She was just a big lap dog really. Never heard a growl out of her. But Gawd are those strong dogs, nothing but muscle, not an ounce of fat was on Sage. Developed bone cancer, had to be put down.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, richieb said:

Developed bone cancer

The Rottie in my avatar had bone cancer and had to be put down.  It was horrible.  The day before he left us I put him in a red wagon and pulled him all around the neighborhood where I used to walk him.  I still get choked up just thinking about it.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The Rottie in my avatar had bone cancer and had to be put down.  It was horrible.  The day before he left us I put him in a red wagon and pulled him all around the neighborhood where I used to walk him.  I still get choked up just thinking about it.

Yes, I know the feeling all too well with our Golden. And to keep this thread upbeat I'm not going into details. Like loosing a family member is all too true a statement. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Yes, I know the feeling all too well with our Golden. And to keep this thread upbeat I'm not going into details. Like loosing a family member is all too true a statement. 

Sorry to hear this guys.

20 hours ago, Tarheel said:

IMG_1269.JPG

Chuck, ever heard the song Feed Jake by Pirates of the Caribbean  Mississippi? I think of that song every time you talk about Jake. Lyrics are very dated but anyone that ever had a dog named Jake will get a kick out of it and have a heck of a time getting it out of their heads.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 10/5/2017 at 8:01 AM, CECAA850 said:

If you like BIG dogs look into getting a Newfoundland.  We've had a couple in the past and are the

Completely agree, as well as Great Pyrenees  (almost same dog, different color). I have had both, but be ready to be raking hair.

In some states insurance companies are allowed to exclude certain breeds.  Rotties are usually on that list, but Pit Bulls are at the top.

https://www.livescience.com/27145-are-pit-bulls-dangerous.html

My Pit Mixes The Male (Black Collar) was a beast weighing in around 110lbs and the largest Pit I've seen in person . He was the smartest and best dog I've ever had , never thought my Shepard would be outdone but this guy was special ! My best friend ever but unfortunately lost him to bone cancer (awful) a year ago April. The Female ( Pink Collar) was around 60lbs and the sweetest dog ever ! She was also deaf. Got her to keep the big guy company . I was able to have the male at my shop when I first got him so he was able to play with 40 plus people a day. When I shut down I was not able to have him with me all day so I got the female to keep him company. They were great together and as usual she ruled the roost unless it was time to eat, she would let him eat first . Lost her to bladder cancer (very sad but not as bad as the bone cancer) in March of this year.59d841feac508_Android028.jpg.48c8c8a05d8a4f915e6f7ba333d40cf1.jpg59d8429d1a6a8_Android260.jpg.5b66abfb9f4226c1cc8b96d95c94f05a.jpg

• Like 3

Two great dogs !

The pit was around a year old and the Shepard was 16 at the time . I knew the youngster was a good one because they hung out together and followed each other everywhere but he knew the Shepard was old and nearly blind so he never tried to ruffhouse with him59d844061a518_Android150.thumb.jpg.8074a1bc20ed5bef5cce13c5cd834ec9.jpg

• Like 2

Two mean dogs :lol: actually best buds . The Rott was a friends, beautiful dog about a year old here  and the Pit was a few months younger . They played really ruff but they both loved it , however if either one yelped they both stopped immediately and the offender always apologized . Unfortunately the Rott just keeled over a few months later and the Vet claimed he had a heart attack  and that it wasn't uncommon for that breed :(59d8463d882e8_Android274.jpg.6b994cd247b2636d1a26e3bb23469bb0.jpg 

4 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Chuck, ever heard the song Feed Jake by Pirates of the Caribbean? I think of that song every time you talk about Jake. Lyrics are very dated but anyone that ever had a dog named Jake will get a kick out of it and have a heck of a time getting it out of their heads.

2 hours ago, Tarheel said:

Never have but I'll google it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

This was Buddy, a Rottie and Boxer mix. He was a gentle giant. Perhaps not the smartest dog ever, he was nonetheless one of those Perfect Dogs we always remember. He only started to show a modicum of aggressiveness after Katrina when strangers started coming around the neighborhood, (Gulfport MS) and even then he stuck close to his human family. He did have a behavior I've never seen before. He was the Gatekeeper. When ever anyone came to the house, he would put himself between the guest and the family, even if he knew the guest well. He have to sniff and check out and then allow one to enter. After allowing the guest in, he wanted to cuddle and be petted.

buddy.jpg

• Like 2