Klipsch KP-600 Eye Candy

jwc

Looks like the rod is threaded and the retaining nut is holding the cover on.  You may be able to grab with vise grips and loosen to help loosening the retaining nut sitting on the cover.  Looks like at least the retaining nut and maybe the rod has to come out get the cover off.  Maybe a drop of wd-40 on the threads where the retaining but sits.  Guessing.

That Center nut does come loose but doesn't come all the way off the pole. Once I do that the pole gets loose and wiggles. The four screws are taken out of the lid and it does not budge. I'm just assuming it's stuck.

JC,

If I do remember correctly, I think all you have to do is remove the 4 that go through the perimeter of the wood. Then you have to brake the seal as there is like a rubber / tar weather strip around the perimeter bottom of that fiberglass and plywood. I believe the re-rod is just nutted on the other side of the plywood, and the other 4 screws are what ho;lds that 10 inch woofer in place. So if those 4 screws towards the horn are tight, your driver is tight. No real reason to take it apart unless blown or you have a voice coil rubbing!  :D

Rog

I was able to pull a lid off one of the MB unit.  The applied gasket is sticky.  I actually have to use a small flat head screw driver and a hammer to slightly tap through the lid holes to jar loose.  I do not tap on the fiberglass. 

So as I figured...the center pole doesn't come out.  Just leave it there.

I have a few of the MB modules that are bugging me because it appears the woofer isn't mounted exactly straight.  Probably not enough to matter.....

The one here I had to loosen the woofer inside to slightly to straighten....and it still wasn't right.  I therefore removed the woofer,  filed the holes in the fiberglass a little to allow the woofer to mount more center line.  Looks way better but could be more perfect.  There is a couple that will have to be addressed.  All this stuff is in great condition for being 30 years old.

I applied a new gasket/foam.  The gasket on the woofer looks like new as well as the woofer/driver.

jc

20171028_132801.jpg

20171028_132805.jpg

20171028_132808.jpg

20171028_134928.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:38 AM, jwc said:

So I'm still slowly tinkering.   Wanted to look inside the Midbass Horn Module to check for correct driver and tighten down the woofer screws.  However, I have to get in to the "capsule" (lol) to get access to the 4 woofer screws inside.  I can't get this lid off.  That middle bolt on the post only screws to loosen slightly.  I don't know what is on the other side.  I Can take the 4 screws off the lid....and this lid doesn't budge.  Any suggestions?

20171020_200424.jpg

20171020_200432.jpg

20171020_200437.jpg

20171020_200723.jpg

20171020_202550.jpg

Just take out the 4 bolts and the post comes off with the lid. You can then go inside and remove 4 more more nuts and bolts that hold the driver in place and pull the driver. I just finished doing that yesterday. 

Mark

8 hours ago, ZEUS121996 said:

Just take out the 4 bolts and the post comes off with the lid. You can then go inside and remove 4 more more nuts and bolts that hold the driver in place and pull the driver. I just finished doing that yesterday. 

Mark

Yea....I finally got the guts to pry off.  Difficult to do without damaging the fiberglass.  The gasket is really stuck on some of these.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Hey, by coincidence, somebody left a KP-600 system outside the Museum Steam Generating Plant Museum building out at the airport with a note that said:

"We just don't have the room for these darlings any longer and we heard you will give them a good home where they will be loved and appreciated.  They love to be flown and played loud."

They were brought inside out of the cold and rain.  They will indeed get a great home!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

They will indeed get a great home!

That is exactly what they need.  In addition.....they are back "home" where they were made and with the maker.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

It was a very nice thing to do, and thanks to the moving guy. :lol:

Thanks to both of you, it's a very nice thing to do for the museum, and the history, to make sure a copy is saved.

Thank you JC

• Like 1