Forte III or RF-7 II/III

Hoping for some advice and guidance from wise and experienced heads on an upgrade from RF-82 IIs.

I've had the 82s for ~4 years now, and have in the most part adored them.  I originally ran them from off a Yamaha Aventage AVR, then pulled out an old mid-90s top-line Technics pre/pro combo, which was a nice match, and tamed some of the harshness I found with the Yamaha.  Admittedly I tend to progressively increase the volume control during listening sessions, pushing the speakers quite loud. Listening is mainly to progressive, classic and acoustic rock, with a bit of jazz and EDM thrown in for good measure.  I sold the Technics on a house move and went back to the Yamaha, and was very close to moving on to something different... Monitor Audio, Sonus Faber were in the mix.  Then... I picked up a PrimaLuna Dialogue HP Premium integrated (running off stock EL34s still) and it was like having a whole new speaker... WOW.

I have been enjoying this combo for some time, but with the recent release of the Forte III and pending release of the RF-7 III (or very good deals on the RF-7 II), the upgrade itch has hit again.  Being in New Zealand, I don't have the luxury of auditioning before buying, so keen on any advice from those who have heard the Forte III/RF-7 II, and particularly in comparison to the RF-82 II if possible.  The Forte III pricing and release date is being announced in a couple of weeks and being a little trigger happy with the credit card am quite likely to scratch the itch.

What I love about the RF-82 IIs is the sheer dynamics and bass, plus of course the mid-top end clarity from the horn.  My assumption is that a move up (RF-7 II or III) will give more of the same with noticeably improvement, whereas moving to the "heritage" line with the Forte III could be quite a different experience.  I am certainly leaning to the Forte III (in either walnut or distressed oak) as I have heard nothing but good things.  Just curious on the sonic signature differences and any pros/cons of the move from those who have heard.  Would I lose that deep, thick bass on EDM/good rock tracks (e.g. Mother from Pink Floyd's The Wall), or is the 12" woofer and 15" passive combo going to be even better than what I have today?

Listening room is 17' by 13', with the speakers along the longer wall, about 2' from the side walls.  

Thanks in advance!

Edited by aperfectcircle
  • Like 1

I had to make the exact same decision this week. RF7II or Forteiii....I don't like the black front of the RF7iii so didn't consider them. I have auditioned RF7ii and they sound great but I still went ahead and ordered the Forteiii without auditioning them. There's so much positive reviews of both I figured I'll go for the looks I prefer in 2Ch audio setup. I might still get a pair of RF7II because I know how great they sound & for the price you can get them for right now. Sounds like you are leaning towards Forteiii so I would say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I never compared the Forte III or RF III but, did go thru the Frote with the Crites upgrade vs the RF 7 I and RF 7 II.  It was a toss up for the year.  I sold the Forte since the HT was Reference.  I don't think you can make a bad choice.  I did not thingk the Forte's clearly won in the midrange department.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

I never compared the Forte III or RF III but, did go thru the Frote with the Crites upgrade vs the RF 7 I and RF 7 II.  It was a toss up for the year.  I sold the Forte since the HT was Reference.  I don't think you can make a bad choice.  I did not thingk the Forte's clearly won in the midrange department.

Hearing them side-by-side, RF2 and F3, the mid-range is where I feel the Forte pulls ahead. With the 2 channel we listened to the Forte sounded more "musical", whatever the helll that might mean. And with the newly designed mumps mid-horn it is there the Forte should shine over the two-way RF, and for me it did. 

• Like 2

A lot of it depends on the application and what you listen to music wise.  I could have easily kept my Forte speakers but, I don't miss them with the RF 7 II's.  Just a preference.  I use an Equalizer in the two channel system so, it is easy to  tweak the system.  I would think, if the room is not perfect, all systems should have some type of EQ.

1 hour ago, derrickdj1 said:

A lot of it depends on the application and what you listen to music wise.  I could have easily kept my Forte speakers but, I don't miss them with the RF 7 II's.  Just a preference.  I use an Equalizer in the two channel system so, it is easy to  tweak the system.  I would think, if the room is not perfect, all systems should have some type of EQ.

All true and where I compared was the listening room in Hope. RF's and Forte were side-by-side played through an inexpensive integrated amp. And contrary to what one might think the listening room is adequate at best. I seemed the general consensus from those in the room had the Forte leading the pack - until KHorns joined the fun. But we all know hearing is subjective. 

• Like 1

Technically I haven't heard the RF-7III so it would be unfair to prematurely judge them.  I've seen them in person, laid hands on them, just not listened.  Rob Standley the VP of all things passive as well as Greg Topp the regional sales manager personally told me that there are some major sonic improvements in this version so I'm hopeful.  Still can't imagine them topping the Forte in sound but we'll see.  My personal opinion is that the Forte looks way better as well, most people aren't super happy about the new cosmetics of the RF-7iii.  The RF-7ii is definitely no contest in terms of sonics, I've heard them side by side in Hope.  Just can't imagine that the midrange of the RF-7iii is going to improve so much that they can oust that new midrange horn on the Forte, that thing is magical.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Technically I haven't heard the RF-7III so it would be unfair to prematurely judge them.  I've seen them in person, laid hands on them, just not listened.  Rob Standley the VP of all things passive as well as Greg Topp the regional sales manager personally told me that there are some major sonic improvements in this version so I'm hopeful.  Still can't imagine them topping the Forte in sound but we'll see.  My personal opinion is that the Forte looks way better as well, most people aren't super happy about the new cosmetics of the RF-7iii.  The RF-7ii is definitely no contest in terms of sonics, I've heard them side by side in Hope.  Just can't imagine that the midrange of the RF-7iii is going to improve so much that they can oust that new midrange horn on the Forte, that thing is magical.  

How did the Forte III compare to the RF-7 II at the low end?  

14 hours ago, richieb said:

MLO -

- is the 7lll still a two way

- is a "mumps" type horn employed

- is this a "Bonehead" design 

yes / no / no

The new 7iii uses the Reference Premier style 90x90 molded silicone horn and I believe was designed by the English designer in Indy who stays out of the spotlight, Chris maybe.  Still a 2 way but they used a new compression driver so it should sound a little different.  I was told that imaging is better and the hot spot that you got if you aimed the horns right at your head is gone, among other sonic improvements.  You're still leaning on two direct radiating 10" woofers to produce midrange though, can't imagine that this would be better than the Forte situation.  

10 hours ago, aperfectcircle said:

How did the Forte III compare to the RF-7 II at the low end?  

We were listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn so bass wasn't what I was paying attention to in Hope, I was listening to the midrange of the blues guitar more than anything, as well as voices... big difference in my opinion. 

As for bass on the Fortes in general, I can tell you that I can cleanly sustain about 110 db in my 1,000 square foot living room with rap, with a little 45 watt half sized Marantz receiver.  Bass guitar is very nice as well, that pro woofer is nice and crisp plus the voicing with the midrange horn makes bass lines sound funk nasty, been listening to a lot of Rage Against the Machine recently, it's nice.  I'm a big bass head and I love these.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well... they have arrived.  The Forte IIIs - first shipment to NZ docked Tuesday night, and the dealer managed to convince the distributor to let me pick up straight from the warehouse on Wednesday.  Had to fly out on business that night, so only got a few hours listening in, but back today and halfway through a nice bottle of Australian red while having a good listen.

What a massive improvement on the RF 82-IIs I had - immediately noticed much sharper imaging and an absolutely massive soundstage.  Vocals are just incredible on these.

Currently have them around 40cm/15" out from the rear wall, toed in pointing straight on the listening position.  Will play around with placement after a good 50 hours to let the woofers loosen up I think.  

NZ pricing came in at $7k which is just over $5k USD at current exchange rates.

IMG_5229.JPG

IMG_5400.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2