Elliptrac + Community M200?

dpunk

Has anybody tried the Community M200 driver on the Elliptrac horn?  Forum member DJK has spoken very highly of the M200, and based on his comments this combination would seem to be an excellent choice in a 3-way setup.

Edited by dpunk
correction

Are you talking about Dave's Elliptrac 400?  If so, I can tell you that, that horn with a B&C DE750 sounds good.  I don't want to say it sounds better than the EV HP640 yet, but I am liking it quit a bit. I will be trying it with a EV DH1A next.  

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

Are you talking about Dave's Elliptrac 400?  If so, I can tell you that, that horn with a B&C DE750 sounds good.  I don't want to say it sounds better than the EV HP640 yet, but I am liking it quit a bit. I will be trying it with a EV DH1A next.  

Yes, the Elliptrac 400.  The M200 has a very low compression ratio, which supposedly gives it a more "relaxed" sound than other compression drivers.  (It's basically a 2 inch diaphragm feeding a 2 inch exit, without a phase plug.)  It would seem like a natural choice for the Elliptrac, but it has an upper limit of 4 KHz and therefore needs a tweeter.

If I understood your post correctly, you have the Elliptrac and the HP640s?  I've seen the HP640s in your other posts, but not the Elliptrac.  I have a pair of EV HR90s sitting on top of my Belles, but they have 1.4 inch throats and will not fit the M200.

2 minutes ago, dpunk said:

Yes, the Elliptrac 400.  The M200 has a very low compression ratio, which supposedly gives it a more "relaxed" sound than other compression drivers.  (It's basically a 2 inch diaphragm feeding a 2 inch exit, without a phase plug.)  It would seem like a natural choice for the Elliptrac, but it has an upper limit of 4 KHz and therefore needs a tweeter.

If I understood your post correctly, you have the Elliptrac and the HP640s?  I've seen the HP640s in your other posts, but not the Elliptrac.  I have a pair of EV HR90s sitting on top of my Belles, but they have 1.4 inch throats and will not fit the M200.

Yes correct I have both,  just recently acquired the Eliptracs.

1 hour ago, dpunk said:

I just bought a pair of M200's and plan to build tractrix horns to match.  I was told to expect outstanding results.  My understanding is that low compression ratio is also used in Palladiums and I am very pleased with them. 

12 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I just bought a pair of M200's and plan to build tractrix horns to match.  I was told to expect outstanding results.  My understanding is that low compression ratio is also used in Palladiums and I am very pleased with them. 

I hope you'll keep us posted on how it sounds when you're done:)

This post explains how to notch out the 6.5 Khz peak in the M200 if you use a passive crossover:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/10330-question-for-djk/&tab=comments#comment-74920

Edited by dpunk
addendum

It will be a while before I get to this.  Too many projects and too busy with work. 

I am planning on crossing over to a Beyma SMC-8060 tweeter at about 3500 or 4000 Hz.  I have JBL 2404s, but the Beyma should work better because it goes lower. 

I just looked at the FR of the M200 and see what you mean.  It probably needs to be crossed at about 3kHz and add the filter. 

I'll mark the thread to have the info. 

• 3 months later...

I've got the Community M200 Mid driver in an Eliptrac 400 mated with a B&C DE-120 in the Eliptrac HF. I'm set up with an active 3-way system using a DBX Driverack PA2+. This crossover/DSP uses a measurement mic for in-room calibration. I think it's a marvelous setup. Couldn't be happier.