What is this squawker?

JohnA

Perhaps djk can give us more perspective on this driver. I always believed it was the original k-55 incarnation - a first rough design. Mine has absolutely no manufacturers identifiers, and the Klipsch label is hand etched with letters and numbers, barely discernible. I own early University SAHF drivers and the design of the threaded side doesn’t match the casting characteristics at all. That and the lack of identifiers always led me to believe these were a custom collaborative design for Klipsch under contract. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve always thought it was the ugliest mid range driver ever produced, but don’t let the coffee can look fool you, these are really HEAVEY! 

Thanks!  Interesting.  I was bidding on a pair of '63 Model Hs with that driver.  The pair was rough and went for $610 + $140 shippping!!!  What I really want is a mate to my '67 H-700 to use in a mountain cabin.  I like the old styling.  I think they would not attract attention from pilferers, either. 

• Like 1