Calling All Musicians

BigStewMan

Have any of you bought from Sweetwater?  They come to me highly recommended. I’m considering purchasing a couple of guitars from them. if any of you have used them, has your purchase arrived in good condition? If you’ve had to return a purchase because it was damaged, was the process fairly painless?

YEARS ago, i bought a guitar from Musician’s Friend. It came damaged; but, returning it was SO easy. The only painful part was waiting two weeks until a new guitar arrived.

I’ve bought a few from zounds.com and quality was excellent and customer service great. 

My buddy deals with Sweetwater and LOVES them.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Steve

• Moderators

I have bought from sweetwater but not a guitar, two different times and I love the company also. It seems like a great company, it's one of those, If I ran this company I would want to do business just as they do !

To be honest I can't remember what we bought but the last time but they shocked my wife, they called her about a week after we received what we ordered just to find out if it arrived ok and were we happy with the product and if it was doing what we expected, she was very impressed. 

I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again, and the prices are right with everyone else. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

Have any of you bought from Sweetwater?  They come to me highly recommended. I’m considering purchasing a couple of guitars from them. if any of you have used them, has your purchase arrived in good condition? If you’ve had to return a purchase because it was damaged, was the process fairly painless?

YEARS ago, i bought a guitar from Musician’s Friend. It came damaged; but, returning it was SO easy. The only painful part was waiting two weeks until a new guitar arrived.

I’ve bought a few from zounds.com and quality was excellent and customer service great. 

My buddy deals with Sweetwater and LOVES them.

Thanks for your advice guys.

Steve

I would recommend this place..  

unfortunately it closed a few years back...

http://bonamassalive.com/2011/10/13/bonamassa-guitars-open-for-business/   

http://sandiegotroubadour.com/2013/06/buffalo-brothers-guitars-reinvents-itself-with-a-new-owner/ 

but to answer your question...

here back in the north east...

some people say

"Bonamassa Guitars is a nice place. But Sweetwater RULES !!:)"

I purchased my first and only Lester from Sweetwater and had zero issues with them. As previously noted, a follow up phone call was made to me asking if everything arrived ok, if I was happy, and if anything else could be done. Guitar arrived double boxed and not with a huge "GIBSON" on the front. I also like ordering from them as you can see the exact guitar you're actually ordering (on the pricier items) and there's a better chance of you being the first consumer to lay hands on it, not just folks pulling it off the wall in the big box store.

Also, if you're buying 2 guitars from them don't be afraid to haggle with them for lower price, especially if it's your first purchase with them.

• Like 2

ALL of the above, Steve. I've never bought a guitar mailorder, but what I have purchased from Sweetwater was a smooth transaction.

I know folks who would go to a high end smaller store and get more for your money. Closest friend bought guitars through Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island, Martin Custom shop, at a huge discount, a,d they are amazing guitars. They, unfortunately are no longer in business.

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/02/mandolin_brothers_to_become_on.html

Bruce

12 hours ago, Marvel said:

ALL of the above, Steve. I've never bought a guitar mailorder, but what I have purchased from Sweetwater was a smooth transaction.

I know folks who would go to a high end smaller store and get more for your money. Closest friend bought guitars through Mandolin Brothers on Staten Island, Martin Custom shop, at a huge discount, a,d they are amazing guitars. They, unfortunately are no longer in business.

http://www.silive.com/news/2017/02/mandolin_brothers_to_become_on.html

Bruce

i have basically no options buying “live” unless I drive three hours to civilization. A friend of mine that is a legitimate professional musician told me that he’s dealt with Sweetwater and it’s a great place to deal with.  From the answers that i’m getting here, sounds like it’s true. 

There are two or three very small shops locally; but, i was talking to a guitar-playing local and he insinuated that they were below Guitar Center calibre -- I haven’t ever stepped inside one of the local joints. 

Breedlove Guitars is made in town and i asked them for a recommendation for a guitar repair person.  They told me of a long-time former employee of theirs that is amazing, he started his own business. I have three of four that needs some work, so I’ll give this guy a chance since he comes recommended.

I bought my first Martin D-28 when I was in high school. It wasn't new, and a year later it needed some work. I wasn't going to send it from Peoria, Ill to Pennsylvania, and someone recommended this violin maker, whose full time job was at Caterpillar Tractor Co. He was an excellent luthier/repair tech, nice as could be. He showed me a genuine Strad that had been sent to him for repair. He was an amazing, quiet gentleman who I got to know over the next few years.  I moved away and never got a chance to see him again befor he passed away.

I'm sure you will find the right person to work on yours.

Bruce

:emotion-21: on Sweetwater. Got my mixer through them, no issues. Got a Crown power amp through them also. P.O.S. Return for full refund again no problem, I think they even paid shipping.

Make sure you ask for a discount when you purchase, all prices are negotiable.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Why did you have to say Les Paul :o

actually, i haven’t been a huge fan of the Les Paul ... very heavy guitar. But, the Gold Top is kinda iconic and I think it would be a nice addition.

Funny how subjective preferences are: out of over 50 basses, my buddy gigs with one of the cheapest that he owns. An unfinished Peavy.  He just likes the way it sounds. 

Guys such as Randy Bachman, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Lynne sometimes play a Danelectro. If i recall, they used to be sold in the Sears catalogs. I was just watching a Traveling Willbury’s video yesterday, and Jeff Lynne was playing one. 

I have a soft spot in my heart for Gretsch. I’m also a fan of PRS and MusicMan. As far as acoustics, I absolutely love Taylors. 

Based on looks only, in my collection, the best looking is my Desert Sand Stratocaster with Gold hardware -- it plays well too; but, looks really, really nice. 

7 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

actually, i haven’t been a huge fan of the Les Paul ... very heavy guitar. But, the Gold Top is kinda iconic and I think it would be a nice addition.

Funny how subjective preferences are: out of over 50 basses, my buddy gigs with one of the cheapest that he owns. An unfinished Peavy.  He just likes the way it sounds. 

Guys such as Randy Bachman, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Lynne sometimes play a Danelectro. If i recall, they used to be sold in the Sears catalogs. I was just watching a Traveling Willbury’s video yesterday, and Jeff Lynne was playing one. 

I have a soft spot in my heart for Gretsch. I’m also a fan of PRS and MusicMan. As far as acoustics, I absolutely love Taylors. 

Based on looks only, in my collection, the best looking is my Desert Sand Stratocaster with Gold hardware -- it plays well too; but, looks really, really nice. 

A couple of years ago, I looked into the 59 reissue Danelectro, it has a msrp of $400! 

I've always been a huge Les Paul fan, probably due to Page playing one. They make a Les Paul Tribute model, very well priced, but still has the looks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I blame you Steve....:D

Gibson.jpg