Calling All Musicians

BigStewMan

20 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

actually, i haven’t been a huge fan of the Les Paul ... very heavy guitar. But, the Gold Top is kinda iconic and I think it would be a nice addition.

Funny how subjective preferences are: out of over 50 basses, my buddy gigs with one of the cheapest that he owns. An unfinished Peavy.  He just likes the way it sounds. 

Guys such as Randy Bachman, Jimmy Page, and Jeff Lynne sometimes play a Danelectro. If i recall, they used to be sold in the Sears catalogs. I was just watching a Traveling Willbury’s video yesterday, and Jeff Lynne was playing one. 

I have a soft spot in my heart for Gretsch. I’m also a fan of PRS and MusicMan. As far as acoustics, I absolutely love Taylors. 

Based on looks only, in my collection, the best looking is my Desert Sand Stratocaster with Gold hardware -- it plays well too; but, looks really, really nice. 

Add Jessie Colin Young when he was with the youngbloods to the Danelectro bass user list!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

Hey Bill, i’ve been gone a few days. Did you just buy that? Right on!

Hey Steve, yes, and I blame you :D 

With all the guitar talk, and you saying you wanted a gold top, especially for it being iconic, I thought a sunburst was more iconic. It's a Tribute model, the closest thing I'll ever get to a Jimmy Page Signature Series. It feels awesome, and plays even better. Too bad I'll never do it any justice.

How'd did your getaway go? Your buddy get his car? It's always nice to go away even for a few days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Hey Steve, yes, and I blame you :D 

With all the guitar talk, and you saying you wanted a gold top, especially for it being iconic, I thought a sunburst was more iconic. It's a Tribute model, the closest thing I'll ever get to a Jimmy Page Signature Series. It feels awesome, and plays even better. Too bad I'll never do it any justice.

How'd did your getaway go? Your buddy get his car? It's always nice to go away even for a few days.

I think the Tribute Series is a fine buy. I’ve heard that they play well.  I wasn’t aware you played -- how cool.

90 minutes into my trip, i was driving through HEAVY snowfall. Totally unexpected; but, we had the first snow storm of the season. Too early in the year for this. I really enjoyed the Portland area though. thinking i should have moved there (it was originally my intent actually) -- should have went with my gut.

My buddy didn’t get the car that he looked at in Portland; but, he picked up Metro for his wife (she likes those tiny cars, she used to have a Nash). He told me that he get this ’49 Chevy and give the guy the price they’d discussed IF there wasn’t much left to do on it. I didn’t go with him; but, he sent me a text saying that the guy wouldn’t accept his offer.  he said he knew of another in Sacramento and stopped there on his way home. 

Was thinking of ordering a guitar from Sweetwater tonight; but, i can’t decide if i should get the acoustic or not. I think it more; but each time i get tempted by something else.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Hey Steve - Really want to get a Dread, and was looking at this Taylor 700 series. Even though I truly love my 812c, I'm longing for a larger bodied acoustic.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/710e

Bruce

That’s sweet Bruce -- i’ll bet your 812 is sweet too though.  Taylor is such a comfortable guitar. i want a 12-string. I actually have two homemade ones that are about 80 years old; but, those aren’t for playing. 

i’ve been so close to buying one numerous times (I was just on a guitar site for a place in London a few minutes ago). I’ve lost 85% of my hearing and with the hearing aids, everything sounds really tinny. Very discouraging; plus i have arthritis in my thumb, index, and middle fingers of both hands. Can’t make barre chords for more than a 30 seconds before it starts bothering me. So, sometimes i wonder if I’m going to get my money’s worth out of more equipment.  But it is fun and is therapy for me these days and that has to count for something.

Well, yes, the 812 is a sweet guitar. I bought it used, and it is from '91, which mean it's getting up there in age. My only other acoustic now is a '74 Guild Jumbo (F-30R). I'm hoping I keep most of my hearing, I know it must be a drag.

I was just listening to a video of Brian May and Les Paul. Pretty cool... You might enjoy.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2017 at 7:00 PM, BigStewMan said:

I think the Tribute Series is a fine buy. I’ve heard that they play well.  I wasn’t aware you played -- how cool.

90 minutes into my trip, i was driving through HEAVY snowfall. Totally unexpected; but, we had the first snow storm of the season. Too early in the year for this. I really enjoyed the Portland area though. thinking i should have moved there (it was originally my intent actually) -- should have went with my gut.

My buddy didn’t get the car that he looked at in Portland; but, he picked up Metro for his wife (she likes those tiny cars, she used to have a Nash). He told me that he get this ’49 Chevy and give the guy the price they’d discussed IF there wasn’t much left to do on it. I didn’t go with him; but, he sent me a text saying that the guy wouldn’t accept his offer.  he said he knew of another in Sacramento and stopped there on his way home. 

Was thinking of ordering a guitar from Sweetwater tonight; but, i can’t decide if i should get the acoustic or not. I think it more; but each time i get tempted by something else.

Is it a little early for snow even up there? I keep buying guitars thinking the next one will help me play better! I have fun with it, guess that's all that counts.

22 hours ago, Marvel said:

Hey Steve - Really want to get a Dread, and was looking at this Taylor 700 series. Even though I truly love my 812c, I'm longing for a larger bodied acoustic.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/710e

Bruce

That is very nice.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 12:30 AM, Marvel said:

Well, yes, the 812 is a sweet guitar. I bought it used, and it is from '91, which mean it's getting up there in age. My only other acoustic now is a '74 Guild Jumbo (F-30R). I'm hoping I keep most of my hearing, I know it must be a drag.

I was just listening to a video of Brian May and Les Paul. Pretty cool... You might enjoy.

Wouldn't you have loved to be there for that?  Thanks for posting that Bruce.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

He has a bunch that are on YT, with different guitarists sitting in with him. Would have been nice if it had actually been a bit better production.

At least the camera was probably on a tripod. I hate when someone tries to hold the camera, the shaky videos are the worst.

• Like 1