Refinish on K402??

Just got a pair of 402 horns, they have a few minor scratch's and could use a little refinish to get them looking great. Was thinking about a very light buff with steel wool and 

painting them. Is this safe and what kind of paint should I use? Would like to use a semi gloss paint if I can.

13 hours ago, totalcomfort said:

...they have a few minor scratches and could use a little refinish to get them looking great. Was thinking about a very light buff with steel wool and painting them. Is this safe and what kind of paint should I use? Would like to use a semi gloss paint if I can.

Depending on the exact version of K-402s that you have, they are probably already painted black.  My "second-generation" K-402s are, i.e., the ones that weigh about 25 lbs. each.  (The 15 lb. third generation horns now appear to be unpainted).  I assume that it's the same mat finish paint that Klipsch uses on their Professional products--whatever that happens to be.  You can use steel wool to remove any loose paint.  I'd use a fairly dilute mixture to give a nice finish and to cover extremely thin scratches, i.e., don't use a thick thixotropic type of paint, etc.  Any big scratches can be filled with something that can be very lightly sanded with 400-600 grit for preparation to paint.

The only place in the horn to be careful about painting the front surface is in the throat area--I'd keep the paint thickness down to one thin coat in this area.  Otherwise you can probably do almost anything reasonable, keeping the coating thickness on the thin side--nothing thick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chris A said:

Depending on the exact version of K-402s that you have, they are probably already painted black.  My "second-generation" K-402s are, i.e., the ones that weigh about 25 lbs. each.  (The 15 lb. third generation horns now appear to be unpainted).  I assume that it's the same mat finish paint that Klipsch uses on their Professional products--whatever that happens to be.  You can use steel wool to remove any loose paint.  I'd use a fairly dilute mixture to give a nice finish and to cover extremely thin scratches, i.e., don't use a thick thixotropic type of paint, etc.  Any big scratches can be filled with something that can be very lightly sanded with 400-600 grit for preparation to paint.

The only place in the horn to be careful about painting the front surface is in the throat area--I'd keep the paint thickness down to one thin coat in this area.  Otherwise you can probably do almost anything reasonable, keeping the coating thickness on the thin side--nothing thick.

Thanks , that is what I was thinking. Just going for a very light coat of semi gloss black. Didn't know if the paint would react with the fiberglass and plastic in the horn

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Make sure the surface is smooth and have them wrapped at an auto detail/window film business. I’ll post the photos of mine in a bit.

Tons of colors/finishes and when you want to change the color peel it off and pick another. Painting will be damn near permanent- 

IMG_20190914_115947.jpg

• Like 1