Just ordered RF-7II, did I make a mistake?

bkevind

3 hours ago, bkevind said:

Whoa, I had a lot of Glenfiddich.  Went off the deep end a little bit with my last post!

I listen to a very wide variety of music, and we watch a lot of movies.  Ultimately we like rock the most, a little blues thrown in.  But truly almost all varieties, with the least listened to being classical/opera/pipe organ/etc. Some piano music - it's just so often disappointing sounding.  These days mostly stream music from Tidal, but also have an old CD collection (ripped to FLAC) as well as upper entry level record player for that nostalgia sound we enjoy. Too bad we don't have the vinyl collection of our youth!

Right now my ht is cheaply powered by a Yamaha Aventage 860, and an Outlaw 5000.  And cheaply cabled. I also have a NAD C372 integrated and the C272 amp.  So. I could bridge those to run a pair with pretty good power.  We'll see how things sound with what I have.  I could definitely use a "better" amp but if I can enjoy the sound with what I have I'll be happy.

Yeah exactly. And the II price point is pretty good at 2500/pr.  I may get a  little heartburn if/when that drops a lot more.

I've heard quite a few comments how well the RF7lls do with rock music, and the low end is amazing. If you're curious, the RC64ll is the matching center if you're looking at HT options.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willland said:

Nothing wrong at all with any of these.

Bill

I like the overachievers - but I'm also open minded enough to know that synergy with the RF7II may be better with another.  Thanks for the vote of confidence :)

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

I've heard quite a few comments how well the RF7lls do with rock music, and the low end is amazing. If you're curious, the RC64ll is the matching center if you're looking at HT options.

As have I, looking forward to it.  I have a very capable, musical sub (SVS SB13 Ultra) - but I'm going to leave it off for a while.  I will be adding that center as well - but want to see how well it works without it.

The problem with Klipsch Reference speakers is that that are so well made that will there be an enough of a difference to justify the price increase. Probably not. I had 4 RS-52's for my surround and upgraded to 4 RS-62. Was it WAY better, no since the 52 are amazing for punch and the dual 51.4 is in the happy zone for rears. but I just wanted more

I also recently upgraded to the RF-7ii a few weeks ago from 82 and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only regret was not getting them sooner, but the deal they have on the RF-7 now.. I couldn't pass up. Klipsch makes such amazing and detailed products, that getting next gen up isn't WAY better.

The RF-7II's have arrived!  woohoo! (ow, my back -  kidding they aren't heavier than the SVS Ultras I had)

Just got them plugged in and they make good noises so far. Streamed some crappy music from Amazon for a quick sound check.  Have to work a bit tonight, but leaving them on playing a movie for the kiddos to begin the "break in" period.

I think I'm going to like these.

• Like 2

So far so good!

Definitely did not make a mistake.  My amazing wife is happier as well - she has been a Klipsch girl for years.  She HATED the SVS Ultra Towers - because of their weird shape.  She did really like the sound, but she likes the RF-7II better in looks and sound. This is a woman that almost would prefer I put in wall speakers so she can have a pretty space - but leans just slightly towards "f that, I want good sound!"  I told her, look I can put in some pretty decent in-walls.  "Will sound as good?"  Not unless we spend a LOT more, build the wall out more etc, and even then it may not sound as good.  "Then lets stick with towers"

The Ultras could get to ridiculous spl without breaking a sweat (easily 110db+, until my amp decides to take a thermal rest after an extended way too loud party session)  But almost too clinical. My only wish for the Ultras is to add a slight bit of lushness to them.  Make no mistake, they rocked the house with or without the sub, capable of 28Hz and crisp loud highs.  Big shoes to fill, so when I got word that they needed to go because of the look, I had my work cut out to replace them without losing in sound.  I have listened to a lot of speakers at a wide variety of price points (more than I would ever spend) and came away feeling like they would not be worth replacing the Ultras with.  

The RF-7II - day 1, some rambling impressions.  2.0 channel only.  Tidal, highest quality.  First word - Wow. We've definitely lost nothing, and gained more energy in the room, and got some of that lushness added that I crave.  

Placement is not ideal - right tower is close to the corner.  Both are about a foot from the wall.  I'd like to move the right further away from the corner, and both further out from the wall.  This may not be practical - though I can work with it a little bit.    

Unfortunately I can't do an A/B because the Ultras are gone.  I feel the corner and wall placement is leading to some low-mid frequencies being exaggerated due to room interaction - makes it sound slightly out of control at times (at high volumes). I also hear slight cupping with certain higher frequencies - almost to be expected.  It disappears mostly the further back I go (behind the listening area which is 15 ft from speaker) as far as 28 feet before I'm at the back wall (there is a half wall at 22 feet also).  I hear the cupping at certain frequency of voice, and certain higher percussion.  It's the best Klipsch I've heard to date, to be clear.  I'm quite pleased I've only heard that effect a very few times (at rather high volume as well - avg 99dB, peak 108db measured with crappy phone app from 6 feet).  I have not truly cranked them yet, though I got pretty high up, much louder than 99% of the time. Lower, normal loud listening volume I haven't noticed cupping at all.

With that, the impression is that the Ultras were a bit more controlled in mids and lows.  Slightly more crisp, and better absolute resolution of detail as well but that's not always desired.  

An example track I enjoyed this morning - Stevie Ray Vaugn - Tin Pan Alley.  The RF-7II reproduced this blissfully.  This is what I was looking for.

A few  I've listened to for the all too brief time so far ( I don't have a proper demo list anymore either, so this was a bit random. if you have recommended tracks I'm all ears):

Bellyache - Billie Eilish

Take the Power Back - Rage Against the Machine

Tin Pan Alley - SRV

Drifting - Lee Ritenour

If You Wait - London Grammar

While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Jake Shimabukuro

My Home is in the Delta - Muddy Waters

Helpless (Live At Massey Hall 1971) - Neil Young

WALLS - Kings of Leon

Tennessee Whiskey - Chris Stapleton

Just Squeeze Me - Dave Grusin Homage to Duke

Caravan - Dave Grusin Homage to Duke (this one I have used for many years as a demo track.  This is the type of track I perceive some loss of control as the drums really ramp up.  But again I think that largely has to do with room interaction and placement).

I'm not a huge Jazz listener, but some of it is really good to me.  Saw a funny signature somewhere (maybe this forum) "Jazz sucks out loud" -  cracks me up.

If I were to get very critical (I don't really listen that critically anymore) - I'd say the Ultras were better at the nth level of detail, and perhaps tighter control of low-mid.  The efficiency of the RF-7II really stands out, there is just more of everything at any volume level - and that is something I really wanted.  But my time so far with the RF-7II has been short, and acoustic memory is not so good ;) 

The RF-7II are doing everything right to my ears.  They have so much more "meat" to them in all the right ways.  Guitar/strings, percussion, voice etc.  So good.  The room is filled with more and better energy.

RF-7II > SVS Ultra Towers for me.

Cliff's Notes: I love these things :D

• Like 1

Glad you are liking the RF-7 II so far.

I’m using a pair in a secondary 2.0 AV system.  We use them for a lot of concert videos, in addition to some TV and movies.

The biggest complement I can give them is that I often forget I’m listening to speakers and really get immersed in convert video performances.  Part of this is due to how dynamic and clean they sound as the volume is pushed.  I’ve used several other floorstanders in this system (Klipsch RP-280F, Energy RC-70, Def Tech BP-10B), and really only the RF-7 II have provided the “forget I’m listening to speakers” experience.

Their downside, IMO, is that they can be overly bright as the volume is pushed.  I set the treble to -1 or -2 to mitigate this (running a Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver).

What are you powering them with, BTW?  I have found that a solid 100 w/ch from the Rotel  receiver is enough for pretty loud levels (peaks around 103 dB at 12') in a roughly 18'x50' space.

As for demo material, lately I have been using the live disc of Clapton's "Blues" 2 CD set (ripped to flac and using a Sonos Connect), especially tracks 1,3,4,5,7.  I'm sure this is not an audiophile- approved demo disc (who cares), but the tracks have a dramatic, live sound (especially the drums) that sounds more "real" on some speakers vs. others.  Track 7, a cover of  Otis Rush's "Double Trouble" is a good example.

I REPLACED MY REF 82S WITH THE RF-7IIS. I HAVE YAMAHA 2050 RECIEVER PUSHING THEM. OUTSTANDING. I HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE A LITTLE BRIGHT. I HEARD THIS FROM OTHER OWNERS, BUT, WITH TWEAKING, NOT A PROBLEM, AT ALL. I LOVE EM.

1 hour ago, adam2434 said:

Glad you are liking the RF-7 II so far.

I’m using a pair in a secondary 2.0 AV system.  We use them for a lot of concert videos, in addition to some TV and movies.

The biggest complement I can give them is that I often forget I’m listening to speakers and really get immersed in convert video performances.  Part of this is due to how dynamic and clean they sound as the volume is pushed.  I’ve used several other floorstanders in this system (Klipsch RP-280F, Energy RC-70, Def Tech BP-10B), and really only the RF-7 II have provided the “forget I’m listening to speakers” experience.

Their downside, IMO, is that they can be overly bright as the volume is pushed.  I set the treble to -1 or -2 to mitigate this (running a Rotel RX-1052 stereo receiver).

What are you powering them with, BTW?  I have found that a solid 100 w/ch from the Rotel  receiver is enough for pretty loud levels (peaks around 103 dB at 12') in a roughly 18'x50' space.

As for demo material, lately I have been using the live disc of Clapton's "Blues" 2 CD set (ripped to flac and using a Sonos Connect), especially tracks 1,3,4,5,7.  I'm sure this is not an audiophile- approved demo disc (who cares), but the tracks have a dramatic, live sound (especially the drums) that sounds more "real" on some speakers vs. others.  Track 7, a cover of  Otis Rush's "Double Trouble" is a good example.

I can see how that happens with these.  Right now I'm specifically focused on the speakers, in time I will let that go and just listen.  

I'm using an outlaw 5000, which is an honest 125wpc driven to 5 channels.  Only running 2 at the moment with the Klipsch, at most will run 3 if/when I get the 64ii. The height and surrounds I power from Yamaha aventage 860.  I have a NAD C272 sitting around, which is 150wpc x2, not a huge difference but who knows it might sound better for other reasons.  Or not.

Ah I do enjoy Clapton, I'll definitely give him a listen.  

When I recalibrate I may or may not use the ypao volume, and enable tone controls to tweak treble if needed.  So far I'm ok with the brightness.  Actually I'll just turn that off now so there is no calibration applied.  I just remembered that I also have extra bass turned on  (bass is swallowed up in this open room) and an additional enhancement turned on also.  I'm going to turn everything off and let it play as it is from the source.  

20 minutes ago, bone said:

I REPLACED MY REF 82S WITH THE RF-7IIS. I HAVE YAMAHA 2050 RECIEVER PUSHING THEM. OUTSTANDING. I HAVE THOUGHT THEY WERE A LITTLE BRIGHT. I HEARD THIS FROM OTHER OWNERS, BUT, WITH TWEAKING, NOT A PROBLEM, AT ALL. I LOVE EM.

Good to know.  Looks like a lot of folks turn the treb down a bit.  I'll see how it sounds as I adjust that.  

3 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Consider adding a 12 or 15 in. sub and set the speakers to small.  This will help with wall placement issues.

I have a SVS SB13 Ultra, really need more for this space but it makes a huge difference.  I've got it off for now, just enjoying 2.0 to get to know the speakers.  With the ultra towers I did go ahead and let the sub do most of the heavy lifting as it just does a better job by far.  I would change it up to 2.0 at  times to just enjoy what the speakers can do on their own - especially those very loud (very wine induced) extended listening sessions with the wife.  I'd like to sneak in a PB16 to kick it up a notch.  I'm more or less satisfied with the SB,  it's enough to live with it and not be totally bummed lol.  My previous wife, hated my tiny mirage 8" sub, and any visible speakers whatsoever, I'm way ahead the game now by comparison.    I'm not a bass head like you must be with that setup in your entertainment room! Part of me wants to go there,  our main room is not great for sound.  Too open to the dining room, kitchen, entry way, hallway to the bedrooms.  Plus it's the main space the family hangs out in, so having 2 or 4(4 would probably be just right) large subs would be hard to get away with.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rebuy said:

Don't 7's have dual 10" woofers?

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Yes

I feel like there is a point, yet to be made :D

For many, these very large speakers would be more than enough - and for music, it's pretty close to enough.  Still, the visceral quality and energy that a very good sub can provide is almost impossible to beat by a pair of speakers.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 6:53 PM, bkevind said:

I mean why would you use cheap, resonant plastic as a way to shape sound in a reference level product?

Probably the same reason you use plastic horns in Jubilees and cinema grandeur systems which tends to make reference stuff seem like a toy comparatively. :)  

7 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Probably the same reason you use plastic horns in Jubilees and cinema grandeur systems which tends to make reference stuff seem like a toy comparatively. :)  

Touche!  I suppose the motivation for my snarky comment -  the people that have been modifying their plastic horns to be less resonant, and the material of the new horns Klipsch makes that seems to achieve a similar purpose.

Even though I just received my pair, and enjoying them very much - in the back of my head I'm thinking about the horn mods and the xo upgrades.  If it can make it better, why not?  :) 

You have to achieve a price point, that's why (good, bad, or debatable).

I am one that many times does think Klipsch is not perfect out of the box.  They are pretty good but Klipsch does give you a great platform (for a couple of bucks) to customize to your liking.  Very few speakers have the efficiency and components that will allow you to do that at this price of entry.

• Like 1