Just ordered RF-7II, did I make a mistake?

bkevind

14 hours ago, bkevind said:

Even though I just received my pair, and enjoying them very much - in the back of my head I'm thinking about the horn mods and the xo upgrades.  If it can make it better, why not?  :) 

Better according to who exactly?  

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I see I've put myself out there enough with my comments to be worthy of some ball busting :D

I think I will be more thoughtful with my words in the future.

In short - I will simply admit my words were inaccurate.  In particular I have no experience with the modifications that I referred to, and even if I did, I think any subsequent review / observations are mostly if not entirely subjective.  Therefore declaring it "better" was shortsighted and narrow minded.  Furthermore, I have very little Klipsch ownership experience, making my armchair quarterback commentary about as worthless as can be :huh:

To be loose again with my words and thoughts - in my observation of this world wide interweb of insanity,  it is commonly thought that many Klipsch speakers (with horn loaded tweeters) have a tendency to be harsh at certain frequencies, and particularly at higher SPL. To the point that the very idea of owning Klipsch products is a polarizing and divisive topic in most any general A/V forum.  I don't prescribe to this nonsense, as there are extreme haters and extreme apologists that will ignore any factual or observed data that make the conversation anything but productive.

The existence of (some speakers) Klipsch harshness seems to be somewhat corroborated by a portion of Klipsch owners that decide to modify their speakers in an effort to tame that harshness. Also with subjective reviews.  Maybe not so much with RF-7II.  More so with the RF-7.  Then I see that Klipsch has modified their horns, tweeters and crossovers in the latest speaker lines to change the way they sound.  Assumption is to reduce the impression of harshness, to smooth the sound.  Maybe that's not entirely for the best?

Now, with my head spinning from all this, I came into the RF7II expecting to experience some problems, or at least quibbles related to harshness.  This in itself I recognize as faulty thinking.  So far I have enjoyed what they do, any quibbles I may have with them so far are not really related to harshness.  More so, a differing design and sound philosophy.  I find the same with any speaker I've ever listened to at length.  There is no perfect speaker for me. 

I will say that the idea of modifying/upgrading the existing xo parts with same spec but higher quality parts only makes sense, even if the result is hardly noticeable and doesn't change the overall sound.  Having read through @Youthman's experience - he seems neutral on the subject, to the point he has considered going back to stock xo for his particular taste. That was very informative for me, and helps me to slow my roll with doing anything right off the bat, if at all.

Now what if the plastic horn in the rf-7II does resonate at particular frequencies that does not contribute to a positive result?  This seems to be a measurable occurrence, and perhaps shows in the measurements that have been taken.  Is this a design intent or more so an accounting reality?  I dunno.  

• Moderators

I would love to hear my RF-7 II with Dean G Crossovers in a direct A/B comparison with stock RF-7 II.  There was about 1 month from the time that I shipped my Xovers to Dean until the time I got them back and installed so honestly, my brain "forgot" what the stock sounded like.  I am in no way dissatisfied with how my RF-7 II sound, I just am curious if "taming the highs" were a good thing for I tend to prefer a brighter sounding speaker myself. 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:29 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Supposedly big improvements in the sound in the form of a less fatiguing horn, new compression driver, no bright hot spots anymore.  

That is good to hear! I had a pair of 7 II's for a month or so awhile back and those bright hot spots were horrible even if somewhat rare-- it would happen at least once every time I would listen to them for awhile.

On 10/14/2017 at 7:44 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

If people always thought every speaker was perfect for them, then there wouldn't be a resale market or the hundreds of folks on this forum that tweak their speakers.  Speakers are very individual and rarely does anybody say I love everything about my speakers and I wouldn't change a thing.  Now let me stop visiting the Klipsch forum and listen to the music for the rest of my life ^_^

• Like 1

• Moderators
14 hours ago, bkevind said:

Woohoo.  Just got my RC-64II delivered, unpacked and plugged in.

Very meaty.  Sounds great so far with the RF-7II (obviously it should...).  Happy to have the L/C/R in harmony.

Congrats on the new purchase!  Now sit back, crank them up and enjoy.  Be sure to post some pics as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Let'm be happy.  There will always be something new coming out.

Agree.  If you continue to chase “the latest”, you will never own anything.

Don’t worry OP, Shu has the gift of encouragement.  😜

9 hours ago, Schu said:

You should have waited OP...

Perhaps.  Then again, tomorrow may never come.  

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

Let'm be happy.  There will always be something new coming out.

How true that is.  And there are so many other brands that are worth a listen as well.

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Congrats on the new purchase!  Now sit back, crank them up and enjoy.  Be sure to post some pics as well.

Thank you sir, I'll get some "me" time soon enough.  The first movie my wife put on with the new center was a slow dark drama.  I went to sleep about 8 minutes in.   Ah yeah pics are always fun.  We're in the midst of making some changes with furniture etc but I'll take some.

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Agree.  If you continue to chase “the latest”, you will never own anything.

Don’t worry OP, Shu has the gift of encouragement.  😜

Yep, or you'll be bleeding money constantly.  Honestly some of my favorite speakers have been older stuff, so really these are pretty darn new with that perspective.  

It's all good, Schu has valid perspective - and/or just being funny!  Either way works.

The cabinet is going away, will either build floating shelves or possibly move the receiver/amp/etc to the closet behind that wall.  Will probably relocate the sub to a rear corner. 

This is just a multipurpose family space, so it's not going to get much better - no treatments etc.  Works well enough for us. The kid is watching garfield haha.  The TV is small for the space I think it's a 70ish.  You can see the corner load of the right channel, haven't messed with placement much yet.  

20171021_091707-2.jpg

Shuffled the L/R and sub.  Looks better to us, and sounds great.  the RF7s are 8 feet apart now (center to center), much closer than before.  I'm sending 80hz and below to the sub because it is very good at it's job.  Obviously the sub is getting a lot of corner loaded energy, but it helps in this case.  Sealed sub in a large (open floor plan) room.  At the main listening position it's working quite well overall.  For occasional music blasts I'll feed the RFs either 40hz and up or full signal.

Really enjoying this setup for now.  I may add a second sub in the mix and do some proper calibration if we ever get this room finished.

Mom came over yesterday, so I put on her favorite type of music, in this case Ottmar Leibert (easy going flamenco guitar) at a pleasant back ground volume while we all chatted, drank wine and ate dinner.  Stuff like this is where these RF7ii catch me by surprise once in a while.  Nice meaty, lifelike sounding flamenco guitar at low volume.  

Don't mind the mess...4 kids and two tired parents :D

The RFs aren't as close to the back wall as they appear, but they are closer than ideal.  With the xo at 80hz this hasn't been an issue at all.  Even at full signal, it has yet to bother me.  The center should really be at the front edge of that table, but wife hates it that way.  Soon enough this will be on a shelf and the table moved to the office.

20171023_120717.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/20/2017 at 5:50 PM, bkevind said:

Very meaty.  Sounds great so far with the RF-7II (obviously it should...).  Happy to have the L/C/R in harmony.

I think you have a tremendous front end with that L/C/R.  I have RF-83's with my RC-64 and the RC-64 is the star of the show.  I would like to use my CF-4's as L/R in my living room but without the grills they are too "in your face" visually, even for me.  

I heard the RF-7 II's at @Youthman house and they were impressive.  The balance top to bottom is fantastic and stand as is without a sub.  If a pair of RF-7 or 7-II come across my bow for a decent price I would jump on them.