Rebuilding Heresy II crossovers?

jimjimbo

That's a loaded question, but when things go south in the XO I usually hear distortions and granularity.

That being said, now is your chance to do some cap swapping and answer that age old question of whether or not different capacitor types sound different based on nothing but their make up.

2 minutes ago, Schu said:

answer that age old question of whether or not different capacitor types sound different based on nothing but their make up.

Oh man, you don't want to depend on me to even attempt to answer that question.....I think that argument has been had many, many times both here and elsewhere, with little to no reasonable conclusions.....

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

I've read several times now how you like the Solen caps.  What is it about the Solen that you find worthwhile?  Just wondering....

They've just always been predictable and dependable for the money. My ears can't hear the major differences anymore so definitely not as worthwhile these days to spend more. But even 25 years ago when we were building passive networks in high end car audio systems that either competed in SQ competitions, or just high end customers systems, Solen caps were recommended by lots of raw driver manufacturers we used. Companies like Seas, Scan Speak, Morel, MB Quart, and some wave guide systems we did. 

Now, on my Belle project, I strayed from them to try those Russian NOS sealed PIO caps for something different. I've used ClarityCap, Jantzen, and others with great results too.