Amp for Pro Audio Speakers for HT L/C/R

twk123

My Mom has moved into a new house with her boyfriend about 20 min away and he wants to build a top of the line HT system. I am still putting the pieces together but I would like to do a false wall with AT screen and Klipsch Pro audio speakers for LCR, probably either KI-396-SMA-II (advice from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters) or K-310. What do you guys recommend for a power amp for these? I will have the AVR handle the surrounds for 7.1 but want something really good for the front soundstage. Total budget is about $10,000 to $15,000. Thank you for the help in advance, I am really stoked on this project and will do some more posts once I get the pieces better figured out in my head.

9 hours ago, twk123 said:

Total budget is about $10,000 to $15,000.

How much of that budget is earmarked for an amp?  Assuming a 5-channel or 7-channel amp?

Off the top of my head I suggest any of these two fine reliable pieces.  Budget may or may not allow for these.

Anthem MCA 525

Outlaw Audio Model 7700

Bill

Thanks for the input guys. Due to budget constraints, I think I am going to just use the AVR to power them for right now as it is a smaller room. I am thinking of using a Denon S-730H which can put out 165 W per channel. I am trying to get the budget down to around $8,000 which is about as low as I can go and still do a pro- audio setup and run it as a 5.1 for now. I will have another post with a full gear list soon.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs730h

4 hours ago, twk123 said:

I am thinking of using a Denon S-730H which can put out 165 W per channel.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs730h

Well........NO.:o:P

Power Output (6 ohm, 1 kHz, 10% 1ch Drive)165W

A little manipulation and play on "specs" I would say.

But it may still work okay.

Bill

5 hours ago, willland said:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)75W

Now that's a bit less confusing huh?

Bill

Interesting how they play with the numbers. I have not looked at new AVRs in a while and thought that with many companies going to Class D the ratings would be more accurate for all channels. Speaking of Class D, I am thinking of maybe running three of these bridged as mono blocks for the LCR:

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa150-150w-power-amplifier--300-812

7 hours ago, willland said:

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)75W

Now that's a bit less confusing huh?

Bill

With all channels operating you can expect  even less.  A rule of the thumb I heard was about 80%, or 60 w.p.c.  That would be enough for some Klipsch speakers in a medium size room.

Isn't a K-691 just a tweeter in various Klipsch Pro Speakers like KPT- 396?   BTW, 60 watts would be enough for a KPT-396, IMO, particularly since you would run it "small" and feed everything below about 80 or 90 Hz to a subwoofer.

8 hours ago, garyrc said:

With all channels operating you can expect  even less.  A rule of the thumb I heard was about 80%, or 60 w.p.c.  That would be enough for some Klipsch speakers in a medium size room.

Isn't a K-691 just a tweeter in various Klipsch Pro Speakers like KPT- 396?   BTW, 60 watts would be enough for a KPT-396, IMO, particularly since you would run it "small" and feed everything below about 80 or 90 Hz to a subwoofer.

Thanks for the heads up, I have edited the post for the actual speaker code instead of the tweeter. I think I will just use the AVR for now and if needed can upgrade. This project is still a moving target regarding final budget and setup etc so I want to keep the cost as minimal as possible but still hit a good part of the cost/quality curve.

I would get a good 5 or 7 ch emotiva and a Pioneer Elite SC99 or higher and call it a day.  What other attributes some companies claims will be a mute point unless Mon is in a space greater than 6000 cu. ft.  I am running a 9.X.X and the surround don't demand mega watts.  Focus on the front 3 and have the surround able to back them up.  A Pioneer Elite will fit the bill since I am in a greater than 5300 basement.  How you handel the bass is the real question, not an amp.